Monday, October 17, 2011

"Home"-coming

Like most of our brilliant ideas, our celebration of homecoming week began as sort of a sarcastic conversation.

"I want to go to homecoming, but I don't want to pay for it," I said sometime that week. "Maybe we should do it in the livingroom."
"We could do that," Kevin said facetiously. "And, like, move stuff so we could dance better."
"And make our own crepes and chocolate fountain, cuz that'd be the only reason to go to a sponsored dance."

You get the idea. By the end of the conversation we weren't being too sarcastic anymore. It was settled. We were going to actually celebrate Homecoming Week with a dance in our apartment. That Thursday I mentioned that neither of us had been to BYU Spectacular, and so we figured with the money we'd save on not going to a dance, we could go see it. So we did. And it was spectacular. And I felt so accomplished for having done 2 Homecoming activities. I think that's a record for us.

Anyway, onto Saturday. While Kevin was taking a math test I cleaned and cleaned and pretended I didn't have homework. Then I decided that I might as well decorate for the dance.




Okay, so they're not the classiest decorations, but still . . . Christmas lights! And tissue paper! And they're not coming down until January! (minus the fact that most of the tape has stopped sticking . . . ) (Speaking of not taking stuff down, hey, October 21st is coming up, which means the raptors will finally be coming down.)

Anyway, after our gourmet meal of . . . Papa Murphy's (my epic plans for some fancy chicken dinner went out the window about the time I vacuumed the living room and used up my domestic energy) and a shopping trip mainly composed of junk for the dance (which still cost less than an actual dance would have cost), it was time for the dance!

I would include pictures of us, but the ones I took of me look weird, and I didn't end up taking any with Kevin. Sad. Just know that we looked wonderful, Kevin especially.

As for the dance . . . it was awesome. We didn't really remember many dance moves except the samba routine from Dance 185, but we always had the deacon shuffle to fall back on so it was okay. After an hour or so of dancing, we decided to make our crepes and chocolate fountain. And by chocolate fountain I mean chocolate chips melted in the microwave. Add to that strawberries, bananas, whipped cream, powdered sugar, marshmallows, rice krispies, cinnamon bears, and oreos, and we just gave ourselves the best refreshments of any dance I've ever been to. Plus we put the crepes on our cake platter, which made it even classier.

About this time my sister Kaylie stopped by for crepes and chocolate fountain (we had extended an invitation earlier that afternoon), and then we continued dancing. Luckily, the songs on the playlist were the the more jumping-up-and-down kind (think "Friday," which has inexplicably won my heart), so she didn't feel like a 3rd wheel too much. In fact, probably my favorite part of the evening was when she favored Kevin and me with an interpretive dance set to Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing." I wish we had recorded it. She is very glad we didn't.

After that, we decided to call it a night (we didn't want our downstairs neighbors to start banging on their ceiling). All in all, I think it was my favorite dance ever. I think Kevin and I should continue having sarcastic conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment