Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sacagawea dollars


It's storytime! For some reason, I woke up this morning remembering this incident and took it as a sign that I should blog about it. So here you go.

Once upon a time when I was 11, I was taking ballroom dance lessons with a neighbor boy and the grand showcase was coming up. After a dress rehearsal at Logan High School in early June, I decided to wait for my dad under the shade of a tree across the street from the school for easier pickup.

As I sat daydreaming under the tree in my sparkly costume and sunglasses, I heard a voice. "Hey, pretty girl!" I looked up and there stood two boys who couldn't have been more than 8 years old. "Hey pretty girl, will you kiss us?"

I really didn't want to deal with them. My sunglasses gave me an idea. I began to do some sign language, hoping that they would think that I couldn't hear them so they would give up. (I must have been hoping the sunglasses would give an overall Helen Keller impression.)

"What are you doing?" they asked. I sighed as I gave up the charade, pulled off my sunglasses, and asked, "What do you want?"

"Will you kiss us?" I suppose it was the sequiny silver jacket I was wearing that had allured them.

"Uh . . ." I responded.

"We'll pay you!" one of them said, and they ran home. I stayed under the tree, figuring that either my dad would pick me up or they would forget and turn on Cartoon Network.

No such luck. Within a few minutes they were scurrying back. I rolled my eyes.

"We'll give you all of these if you kiss us!" There in their hands were 20 or so Sacagaewea dollars. I had never seen so much gold in my life. Where on earth had they gotten it?

"Um, I need . . . you need to pay me more if you want me to kiss you," I choked out.

"Okay!" they responded and went to get more, still holding all the coins. As soon as they were out of sight, I hurried back across the street into the high school. I watched through the glass doors as they came back to the tree, looked around for me, shrugged, and then went back home. I heaved a sigh of relief but still didn't dare to go outside again til I saw my dad's car.

I wonder what became of those boys.

3 comments:

  1. Kyra you sure missed out. $20 would be nice pay for a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The $20 was probably stolen. 11 years old is way too young to get involved in that kind of mess. For that matter, so is 8.

      Delete
  2. Or did Kevin post this story? If so my response completely changes.

    ReplyDelete