There's not a whole lot to report on, but here's a list of some mildly interesting things:
~Environmental or Economical?: A few weeks ago I talked to a professor about some homework points, and before we got very far into the discussion, he said, "I notice that you and your husband like to use as few sheets of paper as possible. Is this environmental or economical?"
Actually, it's neither. It's probably a habit I've developed over 16 years of school, coupled with a strong dislike of wastefulness (not necessarily environmentally driven). So I didn't quite know how to respond to him. I stuttered out, "I think it's laziness . . . no, I don't need paper . . . no, I just bought a ream not that long ago . . ." (And since then I've used more paper per assignment.)
Then, a few days ago, I got homework back for another class. This required a printout of a plot which was mostly black. Since the printer I usually use doesn't do a good job with black, I inverted the image so that it was mostly white. I put a little note on the printout saying, "I inverted this to save ink." When I got the assignment back, I had full points, but he had underlined where I wrote "to save ink" and said, "Wow! Nice. Either environmentally conscious or budget conscious -> both admirable." I guess some professors are more a fan of the "environmental or economical" than others.
~Liken the Scriptures: I have a goal to read the Old Testament this year, and right now I'm smack dab in the middle of Leviticus. It's been . . . difficult. I know there's lots of wonderful symbolism in the Law of Moses, but it's just not all that interesting to read. The Institute manual I've been using has helped a lot, but still. I just don't care about the dimensions of the tabernacle or the Church Handbook in 1500 B.C. Worst part is, sometimes there are unmet expectations. Like when you think of Exodus, you think, "Oh! Story of Moses! That story rocks!" and it does. And then you get into the wilderness, and Exodus goes downhill from there in terms of storytelling. (Again, it's full of wonderful symbolism, but the story is just not there.) Like, I knew Leviticus and Numbers would be tedious, but Exodus?
It's like driving to eastern Kansas on I-70. The first part of the trip is like Genesis. It's interesting. Especially there at the end when you're going through all the red rock. Then you get to western Colorado and it's still exciting and interesting and full of tunnels (I love tunnels). And similarly, the beginning of Exodus still has a great story.
But then comes east of Denver. And nothing against Colorado, but eastern Colorado just isn't that great to look at. I mean, people give Kansas a hard time for being flat, but there's plenty of Colorado which is just as flat as western Kansas. In fact, once you hit Hays or Salina, Kansas isn't flat at all!
So where am I going with this analogy? Eastern Colorado = 2nd half of Exodus (definitely not living up to its name, either the state or the book). Western Kansas = Leviticus (long and flat and painful, but you were expecting it). Eastern Kansas = Numbers (interesting again). I mean, I think Numbers is more interesting than Leviticus. Doesn't it have the story about people eating so much quail that they throw it up through their noses?
I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean when they say liken the scriptures, but hey. There's a lot in Leviticus that I don't plan on likening to myself. Like not eating pork.
Here's a picture for good measure:
![]() |
| Either eastern Colorado or western Kansas. Pretty, but flat. |
(speaking of Colorado and Kansas . . . it's been way too long since we visited family out there. We'll stop by this summer. Probably when we drive to wherever we're going for grad school.)
~Baby update: My belly button popped out. Yup.
And there you have it. My deepest thoughts from the past few weeks. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment