Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Megan Stories

Guys, I am so excited. My cousin Megan comes home from her mission tomorrow! I will have 7 glorious days of not having a missionary to write before Jennie goes off on her mission to Atlanta.

So instead of writing to Megan, I think I'm going to write about Megan. Mwahaha.

My first memory of Megan was, oh goodness, probably Christmas in Kansas? Or playing at their house in Las Vegas? I dunno. I do remember one time we were all in the same bedroom in Las Vegas and one of our moms came in and woke us up and said, "Princess Diana just died." I had never heard of her, so I wasn't too upset.

Speaking of princesses, though, that is what we (including Leslie) often were when we played together. We tended to follow a simple formula:

1. Choose from the following: pioneer, princess, Nephite, or, I dunno, mermaid.
2. Kill off all the parents. All of them. Always.
3. Have imaginary villains, unless some of our boy cousins were willing to play along and risk making us cry.
4. Get kidnapped multiple times.
5. Never quite resolve things before it was time to go.

And one of us always had to have "Rose" as part of our princess/pioneer name.

As we got older, we moved our stories onto different mediums. There was a stage where we drew a lot of princesses and pioneers and mansions. There was a stage where we played a lot of Oregon Trail II and acted out what happened on the screen. And then there was the stage where we wrote down our stories. I think this series of journal entries from our pioneer saga just about sums us up:

Megan (aka Melissa): “Father blessed me before he died. He said that if I would hold to the iron rod I would be able to endure.”
Kyra (aka Katherine): “Father blessed me. He said that if I would hold to the iron rod I would become great and marry a wonderful, righteous man.”
Leslie (aka Jolie): “Katherine is sweet, but she is a few feet down the iron rod. I mean that in the best way possible.”

Oh, I could go on and on and on. Basically, having a cousin like Megan was the best thing ever because
a) She was very kind.
b) She was easy to get along with (which was very important for stubborn ol' me).
c) She was a good influence on me.
d) We saw each other frequently enough that we were good friends.
e) We saw each other infrequently enough that we both knew deep down we couldn't afford to spend too much time fighting, the way you can with sisters.

So welcome home, Megan! I look forward to continuing our adventures soon!

1 comment:

  1. So I've been meaning to comment on this for FOREVER, but I just wanted to say thanks! And that this is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete