If I had to use one word to sum up dating during my freshman and sophomore years of college, it would be "awkward." I didn't like it, but I didn't know what to do about it.
And then Kevin and I started dating. I liked him because he was smart, funny, attractive, hardworking, and goodhearted. I grew to like him more because of how I felt when I was with him -- capable, beautiful, appreciated, calm, comfortable, and never weird or awkward.
And let me tell you, that's quite the feat to accomplish. Especially when you have the same last name as someone and people think you're holding hands with your cousin. (okay. maybe that one did feel a little awkward. that's beside the point.)
Anyway, since I felt comfortable enough to no longer worry about what he was thinking of me all the time, I was able to devote that energy to building a relationship and learning to care about another person. So, naturally, we fell in love.
And after 6 years of marriage, I'm sure glad we did.

No comments:
Post a Comment