We've made it to 7 years of marriage! It sure has been pure magic. (It's like the opposite of breaking a mirror.)
I don't have anything too deep to say right now, but I have a few funny thoughts.
1. One great thing about life is how you acquire important days in your life. Like, the days my kids were born weren't particularly important days in my life before that, but now they are some of the most important days of the year.
The same goes for my anniversary. I use On This Day on Facebook which tells me what I posted that given day for all the years I've had Facebook. The past few years, I post something related to our anniversary on April 23rd, like pictures or poems of some kind. But before that . . .
A pet raccoon? What on earth was I talking about? What kind of strange existence did I live where I had to make Facebook statuses about cows? (That didn't stop after marriage, of course, but I try to talk about less bovine things on my anniversary.) At any rate, things have gotten a lot more poetic since then.
2. We decided that we would keep my maiden name a secret in this ward, just to see how long it would last. It has actually come up a few times, such as when my dad visited, but it hasn't been widespread knowledge the way it was in Michigan.
One time, we were chatting with a couple and it came up that his dad was friends with my uncle. As he and his wife thought about it more later, he wondered why on earth I had the same last name as my uncle.
"I bet she made Kevin change his last name when they got married."
I explained the whole situation later, but the funny thing is, if you compare bits and pieces from these two websites (one from my dad and one from Kevin), he kind of did take my last name. And, even funnier, even if we hadn't gotten married people would have still assumed some relation based on their similar interests. (I guess technically they would have been right, though third half cousins isn't the answer they would expect.)
3. Since it's on my mind, here's another story about maiden and married names. When we first got married we also decided to keep it a secret since we were tired of all the jokes and questions that we got over and over. One time at church, a friend leaned over and asked Kevin if he ever thought it was weird to hear his wife referred to with her married name instead of her maiden name.
"No," Kevin said simply. He gave no explanation or anything. Just, "No." I think it wasn't til several months later that we finally explained that and he was forgiven for being a wet blanket.
4. One time we were talking about death, and I said that if Kevin died and I was over 60, if I remarried I wouldn't bother taking my new husband's name.
"You didn't bother the first time, either," he replied. He had a point.
5. Since this is probably the weirdest blog post ever (see why we kept this a secret from our ward this time?), I'll just end it with something even weirder. It's fake news, but if you can pretend it's real then it puts all our weirdness to shame.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/16/story-about-married-couple-discovering-were-twins-during-ivf-appears-to-be-fake.html
And really, we're not all that weird. I promise. We're actually pretty boring. But happy.


No comments:
Post a Comment