Monday, June 19, 2017

Acceptapple, part 2

We have been all about kindergarten readiness lately. Not so much the reading and writing stuff -- what Joseph doesn't already know he'll learn at school. Rather, we've been trying to make sure that the practical aspects of day to day living will go smoothly once he's there. Can we find peanut butter-free lunches that he will like? Will we stop having assigned superhero clothes? Which manners do we still need to practice?

It's going well, though we still run into plenty of hiccups along the way. 5 is the easiest age yet, but there are still plenty of meltdowns when things don't go right.  Plenty, plenty, plenty. And yet . . . Joseph can do and say things that astonish me, such as reading the back of the cereal box ("Send a free box to someone you love. Why does 'o' make an 'uh' sound in "someone" and "love"?) or remarking, "I think I like coloring better than watching" (which is probably a goal we should all have). So, each day is still full of surprises, good and bad.

Today I had another surprise that I have been looking forward to for years. I cut up some apple slices to take to the park, and when we got there he would pull them out, examine them, and eat them.

Even though they had the peel. All of it.

For years Kevin and I have always had to take off the tiniest bit of peel in order for him to eat the apple slices. It made no sense, but it's how things had to be. And finally, finally, finally, after a lot of explanations and after linking it to kindergarten readiness, it clicked.

Next up, bread crusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment