Monday, April 30, 2018

27 while 27

Another trip around the sun is done! Whew! We made it another year!

This has been an intense year -- the last few months of pregnancy were painful, the postpartum experience has made me feel old for the first time, the transition to three kids was (and still is) wild, the twos have been more terrible than terrific this time, the job search was harrowing, and it's just been exhausting. The best part about all of this is that I've made some really strong friendships because we've been in the trenches together in a way I've never quite been before. I will be so sad to leave my friends in New Haven behind, but I think it will be healthier for our family to be in an area where we can get more support from family and neighbors.

Anyway, here's a list of brand new things I did this year:

1. Watched Let's Go Fly a Kite on YouTube. I also sang it about 250 times, and Matthew sang it about 1000.
2. Became a soccer mom.

3. Went to the Priesthood Restoration Site
I've been meaning to blog about this for almost a year . . . but I haven't.

It was really nice. You should go!

4. Played the Yale carillon



5. Went to the ER (Actually, it's kind of amazing that I made it this long in life without ever going for me or for my kids. It wasn't super fun or super helpful, and actually I think I just figured out what the problem was this last week, 10 months after the whole ordeal.)
6. Attended a show on Broadway, and then a concert at Carnegie Hall.
Hi Jacob!
7. Dressed up for Cow Appreciation Day at Chick Fil-A

8. Gave birth to a blond baby!

9. Became a mom to three boys.
10. Became a two-car family.
11. Got mastitis for the first time while I was at my sister's wedding.

12. Experienced the madness of school pickup
13. Celebrated my 10,000th day!

14. Hiked carrying a baby (We basically stopped hiking as soon as we had kids, but we started up again this summer!)


15. Took care of three kids by myself when Kevin had conferences and interviews. (First job interviews ever!)
16. Took a paying babysitting job (very part time, and very fun).


17. Visited family in Maryland. It was such a great Thanksgiving!


18. Purchased a new side view mirror. (We should have stopped parking our car on that road after that, but unfortunately it took someone backing into the car for us to find a new place to park it.)




19. Served as a stake choir accompanist.
20. Played the chimes on the organ for Christmas.
21. Served as ward choir director. (Kevin and I did it together at BYU, but this was the first time I actually conducted instead of accompanied.) It's been fun!
22. Celebrated e day


23. Celebrated the 100th day of kindergarten. (And all the other things they make up, like Dr. Seuss day.)

24. Had my first public school snow day experiences. (I never had one growing up! Joseph had so many, and some of them were totally unnecessary.)
Nor'easter Toby could have put forth a little more effort.

25. Experienced the thrill and stress of a job offer and all the big decisions that come with that. We are so excited for all the new adventures coming the next few months.


26. Went sledding in April. Once I did finally managed to take the kids sledding, it finally stopped snowing! God was so nice to give us so many chances for so many weeks. (Sorry everyone who wanted nice weather during March and April . . . it was my fault we didn't get it.)




27. Performed a serious recital entirely comprised of my own arrangements and my own improvisations. The day before my birthday last year I made some career goals for myself, and I started to see things come together this year in encouraging ways.



I am grateful for the friends and family who've helped me out through the various challenges this year, especially as I've learned to parent three kids. I think 28 will be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment