Saturday, June 23, 2018

An improvement Facebook ought to try

Right before I went to sleep I realized what websites like Facebook need. They need a filter system.

When I first checked my Facebook after going off for a week, it felt like emotional whiplash. A funny video of my friend's kids was then followed by Go Fund Me links for kids who had died in tragic accidents. Birth announcements were followed by political tirades. Posts that made me laugh were coupled with obituaries.

It was intense.

That was part of what made me not want to post there anymore. Over the years I've felt like a callous human being when I've wanted to post something funny while everyone else is mourning. It wasn't that I didn't care about the event, but I did have something else on my mind. And I think that's okay.

I get that Facebook is the Walmart of the internet world, but even Walmart has some organization to it. It seems like people would like Facebook more if it was more like a newspaper with an opinion section, personal section, humor section, etc.  People could decide which category their post fit into and Facebook would filter accordingly. That way you can read things when you're actually ready to. (I guess right now you can do that right now by unfollowing people and just checking their page when you want to see their stuff, but that seems like a lot of work.)

Anyway, maybe that will happen, and maybe I'll start posting there instead of here so much if that changes. I do miss the comments and occasional banter. (By the way, blogger hasn't emailed me notifications about comments for months, but I have gone back and checked occasionally. I also switched away from Google+ commenting so you might be able to comment again if you haven't been able to for the past few years.)

In the meantime, thanks for reading this! It's a little clunky right now but I'll figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment