It struck me today as I was walking to school that Kevin and I answer the same questions over and over again. On the off chance you haven't met us yet, you can come here to find the answers to the questions.
1. Wait, you guys had the same last name before you were married? So, is there . . . any relation? You guys have checked, right?
Answer: Yes, we had the same last name, yes we're distantly related, no, I don't think dating or marrying your third cousin once removed from another wife is all that weird or gross. People have told me about siblings marrying fourth cousins without realizing it until they were already married, so at least we got the hint beforehand. I'm not too worried about it until our kids start coming out with extra ears or missing fingers.
(as a side note, when girls who are recently married find this out, their response is usually like "oh! you're so lucky you didn't have to change your social security/driver's license.")
2. Oh! You're both electrical engineers! Can you fix my ____ (fill in the blank with toaster, oven, computer, lights, camera . . .) ?
Answer: Two fun facts. One: most modern stuff isn't made to be fixed. It's made to be thrown away and replaced. It's cheaper. Two: you're thinking of electricians, not electrical engineers. I can derive Maxwell's equations and probably do a z-transform or two, but as soon as I have to handle wires and circuits I'm a dunce.
3. You're an electrical engineer! Is your dad so happy?
Answer: If he is, he hasn't told me yet. (Okay, so I'm sure he's happy, but he's not the reason I went into it. All the exposure to engineering he gave me helped but I think it was a couple things my mom said that convinced me to give it a try.)
4. You're both electrical engineers! You must be so smart!
Answer: Thanks. It's nice to hear compliments like this but at the same time I'm a bit troubled. If I were doing elementary education or family life, would I not be smart? I've known plenty of extremely intelligent people in both majors, yet I doubt they hear this compliment when they share their major.
Okay, so now you know what questions I don't like to be asked. (I admit the last one was a comment, but I still don't like it.) Now you are free to ask me other (more interesting) questions such as, "What color is your toothbrush?" or "Given the choice between flying a kite and eating a marshmallow, which would you choose?" or even "Do you know what the weather's supposed to be like tomorrow?"
Yes, I think conversations would be a lot more fun with those sorts of infrequently asked questions.
Hahaahaa! I think this was hilarious! My brother's wife is very distantly related to us (they're from the same small town...everyone is SOMEHOW related) and we always tease them about extra fingers and toes...so far though, three kids and no abnormalities! Haha. Also, at least people recognize somewhat what your major entails...I say that I'm a dental hygienist, and people go "Oh, I have a so-and-so relation that was doing dental assisting...." and I just sit there and think, "Really? You think I got a bachelors degree to ASSIST? I'm not that great working one-on-one with a dentist actually. I prefer to be my own boss." But I never really say anything, cause no one really knows what a hygienist is. Haha.
ReplyDeleteLove this. :)
ReplyDeletep.s. I'm on the computer right now to pick out my little brother's freshman housing. He's in a concert or something so I get to do it . . . bringing back memories!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Kyra! You have some important truisms that people forget in point two and four. You are delightful to read.
ReplyDelete1. If forced to choose between the two activities, which one: hang gliding or parachuting?
2. Is the brightly painted yellow house across from you still brightly painted?
3. What kind of hairbrush do you use?
:D xox