Sunday, April 10, 2011

Staples

So I chose the name of this blog somewhat on a whim, and for whatever reason, I picked "Staples, Tacos, and Love." I couldn't tell you why except that my relationship with Kevin has included staples, tacos, and of course, love. I already touched on tacos in http://kevinkyramoon.blogspot.com/2010/08/there-are-two-sides-to-every-taco.html and I decided now is as good a time as any to explain the staples part.

After all, it was almost two years that we started throwing staples at each other. So mature, right? I already know that's something you do in high school to flirt, and back then I was two years out of high school. But if it worked in high school, then I think it can still work in college (and for the record, I still love the gimmicks people use to ask each other to dances in high school even though people generally swear them off in college).

But yep. There we were in the CAEDM lab, that wonderful computer lab with the free printing for the electrical engineers. That's where we had met about three months previous and had slowly developed our friendship. But now I saw him differently. He was no longer just that brilliant young man with the hearty laugh. He was the brilliant young man with the hearty laugh that I had developed a major crush on. And despite my shyness about admitting that I liked someone because of fear of embarrassment and rejection, I decided to do something about it.

I don't remember why we started throwing staples at each other, but I am sure of a few things:

1) I started it.
2) He had it coming to him.
3) He retaliated.

And thus it began. We didn't have full-out wars in the computer lab, but probably more than half of a stick of staples were used as projectiles rather than for their intended purpose. One time Kevin collected all the staples I had thrown at him and started throwing them at me. I thought he was going to throw them at my face so I was quite happy when he kept on missing it. But it turns out he wasn't aiming for my face. Hours later I realized I still had staples in my hair.

I think the staple throwing continued through finals week, but then it stopped once Kevin went to China for a few months. Once he came back we didn't need them anymore to break the ice, so we haven't really thrown them since then. But nevertheless I'm grateful for those couple of immature weeks where we both pretended we were back in high school and let down our guards enough to show our silly sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment