Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sleep Adventures

For my birthday, my mom sent me some books, which I appreciated a lot. One was a retelling of the tale East of the Sun and West of the Moon, which is sort of like Beauty and the Beast. (Incidentally, I just accidentally wrote Beauty in the Beast instead of Beauty and the Beast, which sounds like a self-help book or something.) Anyway, one crucial element of the story is that while the girl is living in the palace, every night some mysterious man gets in the bed and shares it with her.

Well, I guess it was on my mind or something because the night I was up in Boise I woke up all of the sudden not quite sure who this strange man was who was sleeping next to me. Should I go get help? Should I turn the light on to see who it was? After sitting in the bed for like half a minute I realized it was Kevin, and he was supposed to be there. I looked at the time. 11:56. Then I went back to sleep and told him the story in the morning.

The next day we drove back from Boise and listened to a book on CD called "Till We Have Faces." It was actually kind of weird. Maybe it's because the first CD was scratched, so we had no idea what was going on for the first fifteen minutes of listening to the second CD. Anyway, the main girl's sister was sacrificed to the gods but it turned out she was fine, and every night she would go to sleep and then a man would join her in the darkness.

Again, I thought? What's up with all these mysterious men?

And again, last night I woke up suddenly, not quite sure who was next to me and if I was in danger or not. Then I realized it was Kevin. I checked the time. 11:56. Seriously. Then I went back to sleep.

I think I need to read different books.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing.... Eerie even.

    Just out of curiosity, which retelling was it? "East," by Edith Pattou? That particular fairytale is a fav of mine, so I'm always interested to know of the modern variants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually called "Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow" by Jessica Day George. I prefer "East" but this was a fun one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen before - who is this person by me!Even after 25 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete