Monday, June 6, 2011

My heart with raptor thrills

It all started when I saw those billboards. I didn't believe them for a minute, especially because the end of the world was supposed to happen on my sister's birthday. In my mind it was the perfect day for a party, not for the end of the world.


Then as May 21st got closer and closer, I started thinking about funny Facebook statuses I could put about the day of rapture. The Thursday before the "rapture," I jokingly informed everyone that
 "Kyra Moon is thinking about having a "raptor" party on Friday or Saturday. We'll watch Jurassic Park and play pin the wing on the raptor, all in preparation for the day of raptor (or rapture)"


Well, I meant it as a joke. I didn't like Jurassic Park, after all. But then when people started saying they would attend, I started to actually consider having a party. When Liz said she'd bring the brownies, it was settled.


The raptor/rapture was going to happen.


The first activity was the raptor rapture. It involved coloring pictures of raptors (both the dinosaur and bird type) and taping them to the ceiling as if they got raptured. These were some of my favorites:



Peteraptor and Jimmeraptor --- the only Mormons to get raptured.


By the end, the ceiling looked like this (only with a couple more, since some fell down before I took pictures):



Throughout the party, we nibbled on amazing raptor/rapture-themed treats. Liz made absolutely amazing brownies:





Can you believe that? It's a raptor brownie! Of course, as the party progressed it looked less and less like a raptor . . .




and more and more like a whale. Also, Kevin and I made earthquake cake, which is actually super easy the way we do it. (Instructions: Bake a cake. Don't let it cool all the way. Get frosting out of the fridge. Attempt to frost. The resulting cake will look like an earthquake struck.)


Then we played pin the wing on the raptor. The goal was to get an eagle's wing (or was it a hawk?) on the right spot on the velociraptor. Kind of arbitrary, but still lots of fun.






Since there were a lot of things I forgot to do at the party, I'm so glad we get to celebrate again on October 21st. This time, I'll make sure to:
~ Play rapture the rag. I haven't decided on the rules yet but I think they'll be like capture the flag except awesomer.
~ Have awesome rapture/raptor-theme based music in the background. Right now the only one I can think of which is about both raptors and raptures (or apocalypses) is the one I learned in 1st grade about eagles having no friends and no sky and no land. This reminds me . . . Kevin wanted me to post this and this. Hooray for politics.
~ Watch Jurassic Park, 2012, Armageddon, etc. Actually none of those sound appealing, but whatever.


In closing, here's a great quote from Joseph Smith:
"I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming," the Prophet also said, "and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, 'In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.' But I will take the responsibility upon myself to prophesy in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come this year, . . . for we have seen the bow." (Teachings, pp 340-41.)


and a great picture to go along with it, taken May 17th:
Happy rapturing!


ps: kudos to anyone who can tell where my title came from. Here's a hint: you've sung it before.

6 comments:

  1. I had to look up rapture on hymns.lds.org, because I'm that much of a failure. But I recognized it! I recognized the quote, just not enough to tell you the tune it goes with, or the surrounding lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rainbow pic. Nice touch with the Y in back. I thought you were going to play rapture the rag! Glad you have another chance. And I just plain googled the lyrics cuz the music playing on the computer and the zuma Leslie's playing and the Doctor Who from the other room is too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it! "My Country Tis of Thee..." Does that mean I earned some brownie points? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for inviting me to your raptor party! :)

    And, I am such an English nerd. My first thought when I saw your blog post was Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud" poem: "And then my heart with rapture fills, and dances with the daffodils." A bit different, but similar enough. :)

    ReplyDelete