There's something about going to Duchesne in August that just feels right. Perhaps I have positive memories because the first time I went there was just hours after Kevin and I first told each other we loved each other. Perhaps it's that we're there when the roses are still in bloom, when the hay is being cut. And since the past few years have been so wet, it's still beautiful and green, even in August.
In a lot of ways, Duchesne is predictable and nice. We will always go four-wheeling at least once. We (or at least Kevin) will help out on the farm at least once. We will watch a few too many movies. It's just a nice, laidback lifestyle for a few days (at least for us as guests . . . his parents always stay busy).
This year had a special treat -- the D'Nerdz reunion. Kevin's senior year, he and a few other friends created a band as part of his friend Derek's campaign. The summer after Kevin graduated, they performed at some dances and other events. But after the members of the band started leaving on missions, it never came together again.
Until now.
There I was again, back in high school, listening to "Kryptonite" and "The Middle" and "Swing Swing." And they actually sounded pretty good! It made me so happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment