Luckily, the rest of the trip wasn't quite as eventful as the first day. In fact, except for the scenic route at Capitol Reef being closed (again, check ahead of time!), we were able to stick to our plans pretty well.
We woke up on Tuesday and headed off to Lower Calf Creek Falls. We were glad we went as early as we did because the hike sure got hot fast! When we got to the waterfall, things cooled down quite a bit.
We had planned to go swimming, but the water was COLD! At least we had some fun in the sand:
After that hike, we took the amazingly beautiful drive on Highway 12 over to Capitol Reef. Wow. It's the best of both worlds -- trees and forests on one side, red rocks and canyons on the other. This should give you an idea of what it looks like (although this picture hardly does it justice):
Once we got to Capitol Reef, we decided to hike up Cohab Canyon a bit. Here's another tip for you: Don't believe weather.com. It said the high in Capitol Reef was going to be 81. When we were the car said it was more like 91, and I'm inclined to believe that instead.
But still, it was a pretty cool hike.
That night, we stayed in Hanksville in a room with two beds. When we were in bed, I asked, "What's the name of that one singer who sounds like Evanescence?" Kevin said, "Oh, I know who you're talking about. The one who sang 'Only Time.'"
"Yeah," I responded.
"We have to find out who we're talking about. It will kill us if we don't know," Kevin said. So I headed over to the bed where we had our laptop. But on my way out of bed, my feet somehow missed the ground and I instead went flying and landed on our laundry in between the two beds.
"It's Enya," Kevin said as I struggled to get up. Oh, the irony.
I'm missing the irony here.
ReplyDelete