Sunday, April 8, 2012

Scarborough Video Rental

Sometimes I'm just not that impressed with Redbox's selection. It seems like the majority of movies are either R-rated movies which look disgusting or G-rated movies that I just wouldn't be able to stomach (like Disney's Treasure Buddies). It makes me miss the good old days when there was an actual store with aisles and aisles of movies to choose from.

Of course, not all movie stores were like that. When I lived in New Jersey for a year, we went to a place called Scarborough Video Rental which had the same sort of selection as Redbox. It was really hard to find a movie that was appropriate for the family but not really stupid.

One time I went with my dad and started browsing for a movie which we would all like. After looking around for a few minutes without any success, I went over to my dad to see what he was considering.

I wrapped an arm around his old familiar leather jacket and gently grabbed the video from his hand. It looked really raunchy. As I looked up at him with questioning eyes, I had a horrible shock.

This man was not my father.

"Here, you want to take a look?" the man asked kindly and deliberately, undoubtedly sure that he was speaking to someone, um, lacking in social intelligence.

I opened my mouth and closed it a few times, trying to apologize and explain myself before running away and hiding in the Care Bears section of the store. Eventually my real dad found me and we left the store with some acceptable movie. I never saw that other man again.

Maybe Redbox is better after all.

(And for those of you who are wondering, we're too cheap for Netflix.)

2 comments:

  1. According to one of those full page news article type ads in one of the Parade magazine type publications, for only $47 you can get a device that will give you over 953 tv shows to watch each month, but only if your zip code in Utah starts with 84.

    (Or, you could realize that it is really just one of those digital converter box things that don't cost that much in the first place and if you have a fairly new TV, you don't need one at all and can still watch over 953 tv shows a month.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we caved and got the 7.99 netflix the day I came home from the hospital with Ruthie, and I have not regretted it one moment. I am not a big movie watcher, and I have never been a big tv-show watcher...but when you spend a good portion of your life (for the first few months of your baby's life) on the couch nursing, well, lets just say my overactive mind got a little bored. Plus, I was not that great at the whole nursing-while-turning-book-pages thing, so the tv was a lifesaver. But then, I got big into Bones, and it was a nice thing for me. I totally hear you though--redbox is terrible. (oh, and to get netflix we got a roku box off ebay for pretty cheap, I don't remember how much).

    ReplyDelete