The Less Awesome
- Colds. We ended up being really lucky for more than 2 months in that none of us got sick (except for the week that I had a mild stomach bug, but as long as Joseph doesn't get sick, it's like it doesn't even count). But our good luck came to an end, and Joseph spent much of Monday night screaming about a sore throat which preceded a cold (and even more teething). And since I consider wiping runny noses one of the activities that should only be done within one of the inner circles of Dante's Inferno, I haven't been too pleased about the matter. Nor am I happy that I may be catching it too. On the bright (and unexpected) side, he's been easy to put down for naps, as if he's so sick of being awake with a cold that he'll happily fall asleep. Only for 20 minutes at a time, but still.
- Do you remember my complaints about being an adult? Starting that same day, a whole new slew of adult things came upon us. The dentist billed us too much. Urgent care in Roosevelt from December finally got around to billing us, and they billed us too much. That slow leak was caused not by a pinhole but by a bent wheel (which is just a wee bit more pricey, sadly). Ah well.
- The weather. When it feels like 12 degrees outside in late March, you just don't want to go outside. Or live. That plus the sickness has basically kept us cooped up in the house all week -- no walks, no Morning Out, no Institute, no play dates, no yoga, no grocery shopping . . . and yet with all this time in the house, it doesn't really get any cleaner than if I was busy each morning.
- School. Kevin had 2 tests the week we got back from spring break and is starting another take home test today which runs through Tuesday. Which means he'll probably be working on it for most of the days til Tuesday. This is what you get for having a smart husband, I suppose -- they take hard classes with killer hard tests. Last year it was easier because I was with him in the classes instead of bored. (And last year was probably easier for him, too, because he didn't have a baby who adores him and always wants to play with him.) I'm a little ashamed that I feel like this.
- Our internet has been sketchy. I know, major trials here.
Well, I'm sure that brightened your morning immensely! Lest you think my life is actually difficult, here is the awesome-possum stuff that's happened this week.
The Super Awesome
- A Easter care package from the Moons in Duchesne! It came on Monday before we needed most of the "care," and it brightened my spirits enough to last me the rest of the gloomy week. Nothing like saying one day "We need to get Joseph more socks" and then receiving more in the mail. Plus cute baby clothes and jelly beans and chocolate bunnies and toys.
- Some of my favorite people are probably going to come to University of Michigan next fall! (I won't name names until they're 100% sure.) To let you know how favorite they are in my mind, on Sunday, I was washing dishes and randomly thought, "Wouldn't it be so awesome if K ended up here? I think I would die of happiness." Keep in mind that I hadn't talked to her since August and had heard just once that University of Michigan might be on their radar, so it was random that I was even considering it. Then the next day, Kevin got an email on LinkedIn from her husband who said it was one of their top choices (as in 90% likely). From the Elms to the 34th ward to Ann Arbor, it appears our paths may cross yet again. That bright glimmer of hope has kept me smiling all week.
- An old friend from college was in Michigan for the week, so he stopped by on Tuesday and had pizza with us. Even though it's been about 3 years since Kevin and I talked to him, we were still able to have a good time talking about nerdy engineery stuff and watching Star Wars spoofs like this one (you should be able to skip the ad).
- We decided to have our date night a little early so that Kevin can focus on his test this weekend, so we watched the first act of Fiddler on the Roof last night. Man, I love that movie.
- Joseph has gained a strong testimony of the only true and living breakfast cereal on the earth today, even Cheerios. It's so fun to watch him eat them. He also tried curry this week and liked it. He's been a bit picky otherwise, but I'm chalking that up to cold and teething. (Actually, scratch that. He's been picky if we tried to feed him stuff. Any infinitesimally small crumb on the floor seems to taste delicious, to my dismay.)
- Airplane tickets! I guess it's sort of official now -- we're going to Europe! We'll be staying with Kevin's friends in England for most of it and then see Paris for a few days. Although I still would love to see Switzerland and Liechtenstein and Germany and Austria and the Netherlands and Sweden and Denmark and Italy and the Czech Republic and most everything else, this is what seemed most affordable and reasonable with a baby. Best part is, tickets really were affordable! Thank you Toronto for having great deals and for only being a few hours away.
Looking back, I guess this week hasn't been too bad. A bit rough and a bit lonely at times, but life is still good. And Joseph is still great. Even when he's slobbery.
(and for the record, I usually do try and keep the edge of the crib raised. And sometimes I even put pants on him.)
Fun post, Kyra. Sorry things have been miserable. Glad other people send you presents! I could see his teeth!
ReplyDelete