Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Birthday birthday birthday

Once upon a time, I had a baby named Joseph.

And then one fabulous day in May, he turned one!



The whole weekend was fabulous, actually. My mom and Jennie decided to come visit us so that we could see Jennie before she leaves on her mission to Atlanta in July. And then my dad decided to come too. And they happened to come the birthday weekend. So it was all around awesome.

The weekend started out with us meeting at the Detroit Temple where Kevin, Jennie, and I did a session while my parents watched Joseph. I think we all sort of expected him to scream the whole time, but he surprised us by not really crying at all. Or smiling. Or showing any emotion except for the time when my mom recited the beginning of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to him and tears started to fall down his cheeks. Just stoic and serious. (Meanwhile, I got to experience the joy of being that person during a session who just needed to cough and cough and cough and suppressing it made it worse. I have a lot more sympathy for that person at concerts and such now.)

On the ride home, Joseph and Jennie bonded in the back seat with blowing raspberries at each other. We had Palm Palace for dinner and then spent the evening chatting and despairing of the way the world is headed (in particular how stupid the math curriculum is these days). That night, as he is wont to do whenever a celebration is nigh (eg 4th of July, Halloween, Kevin's birthday, Christmas, Valentine's, my birthday, and now his birthday), Joseph slept terribly and woke up several times in the night. But whether or not we sleep well, at least we have him!

After church and lunch and naps, we decided to walk along the river.
He was not really into smiling.

One of very few smiles we caught on the walk.



Family picture! Joseph mostly looked at the runners going by instead of the camera.

His "I'm not being held by mom right now but I'm not sad enough to cry" face

Favorite aunt?
And then we went home. And had a party. Stay tuned.

1 comment: