But that will change today. It's time to do the birthday spotlight!!!! (And then I will do short posts again. I promise.)
So, without further ado, here are 27 reasons why Kevin is great.
1. He has been the one to get up with Joseph at least 80% of the time. I figured I ought to start off with something impressive, and that is no small feat, especially when Joseph spends three solid months waking up nearly every night screaming in pain due to molars coming in. (It's not that we're horribly opposed to crying it out, especially at this age. But if he hurts, we see no reason to keep him suffering. At least when he's not teething he usually knows how to sleep til 7:30.) I've always felt a little sheepish that he's done it so much and I've done it so little, but I suppose me getting almost enough sleep is probably worth it to him.
2. He graciously admires my work every time I clean something and ask for his praise. Even if it's something that is the bare minimum of what I should be doing.
3. He can fill in for me at church on the piano at the drop of a hat.
4. He is really good at cooking meat.
5. And for that matter, the first time he baked bread it was as good as any I've ever made.
6. He slices the tomatoes thinner for me on the rare occasion we have tomatoes.
7. He teaches Joseph lots of great things, like about electricity or how to snore.
8. He is so smart. I could go on and on and on about how brilliant he is, but I will refrain because it would take too long. Just know that he was once referred to in the Engineering Advisement Center as "a little smartypants."
9. He is only annoyed for like 10 minutes after BYU loses, and then he gets on with life. Sometimes it takes me a little longer.
10. He likes to dance and learn new steps. Which I like too.
11. We can sit in silence together and still be happy. The other Saturday, we drove to the temple. For most of the ride, we just sat next to each other in silence. And that was okay. He didn't expect me to talk, and I didn't expect him to talk. Finding someone to enjoy silence with is a real treat.
12. Conversely, I can talk to him about anything, and he always responds well. Listens fully to my side of the argument, doesn't judge, etc. When I complain about someone or something, he listens and then gently offers explanations for their behavior without rebuking me. It is hard to stay angry at anyone when you can get through frustrations with them with the help of your husband.
13. He rocks at home teaching.
14. He laughs at my jokes.
15. He has the best laugh ever -- a rumbly, happy, one.
16. He makes me laugh.
17. Until I finished school a month before Joseph was born, he basically did all the laundry. And he was in school and busy too. I do not know how I scored that one.
18. Even now, with his busy separate schedule, he is still super super helpful around the house and even knows where lots of things belong.
19. He is ridiculously good looking. And since his family says he looked like Joseph as a baby, he presumably always has been good looking.
20. He is good at asking people in the store for help. This probably makes him look less stupid than I do since I just hunt for minutes on end looking lost and confused. Then again, often the item he's asking for is less than two feet away, so it's probably a toss-up as to who looks more stupid.
21. He doesn't spell words wrong.
22. He is really good at explaining things, especially mathematical concepts.
23. He really knows how to play with a toddler, from knocking down towers to having pillows eating teddy bears and then belching them out. (This is good, because my idea of playing is teaching Joseph the actions to "eensy weensy spider," and that's not nearly as fun.)
24. When he was a kid, he was obsessed with Davy Crockett, and that is just adorable. And it was so mean of Craig to tell him that he died at the Alamo.
25. He eats his vegetables, except sweet potatoes.
26. He reads really fast, so I can always count on getting him back soon after we check out a Brandon Sanderson book.
27. He is the cutest daddy ever. Evidence:

| those are Kevin's legs, so it's a picture of the two of them |
| Hope you're okay with all these sleeping pictures, Kevin. They're just too cute. |
| again, those are Kevin's legs |
Happy birthday Kevin! I love you!

Love the list. Feeling you on the Brandon Sanderson, haha. With Steelheart I convinced Stephen to read it with me. This resulted a day where we probably read 7 hours of Steelheart (we were traveling).
ReplyDeleteThinner tomatoes are always good too :)
A very happy birthday to Kevin, and a wonderful year to come.
ReplyDelete