Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Just chugging along

After our whirlwind May, things have been pretty quiet around here. When it rains (which is every few days), we find inside activities. When it's sunny, we play outside, unless it's too hot (it's only gotten above 90 once or twice, but that can still feel pretty hot). Life is just a mixture of Legos, laundry, Daniel Tiger, and dishes.

Joseph is into Legos big time these days. A few weeks ago, he was building and rebuilding mansions and penthouses for Lightning McQueen all the time. Even within minutes of him getting mad at me, he still announces, "I have a present for you!" and hands me his latest Lego creation. It's great.

Right now, he likes to take his bear, elephant, meerkat, blue Lightning McQueen, helicopter, red car, green car, and blue race car with him to bed. This makes it sort of hard for him in the mornings because he wants to have them all watch him eat breakfast and he can't carry them all down the stairs.

This is from my piano students' recital! It's been a fun, educational experience teaching basic piano to little little kids. They and their parents are so awesome and so patient with me.

Our Toledo zoo pass expired on July 1, so we made sure to go one last time in June. We went to every single exhibit, but I didn't take too many pictures.


We love waterslides.

I have been trying to ride my bike as much as possible. Dismounting is one of the hardest things I have to do, but it's all worth it for the sense of satisfaction I get. We've come a few times to these fountains since I've heard from at least one reputable source we can get in. And if that's false . . . oh well.

Haha selfie.

4th of July!



Rice Krispie treats with way too much sugar added on top. We . . .  didn't take these to the potluck because we were selfish.

But we did take this Jell-O. Later I realized I did the stripes wrong for both of these treats. Oh well.

We had a little service auction for a Relief Society activity last month and I won a free perennial garden. At first I was sad to not win a free plate of cookies, but in retrospect this is better. As soon as Northwood was done re-roofing our complex (and dropping water bottles and nails everywhere!) we planted it.

So far I've been happy to see how well it's stayed alive. Even the geraniums. They're going to repaint our siding at some point and we'll see if they survive that too.

As for how I've been feeling, the motto I've been operating on the whole month is "All I ever want to do is sleep." It's kind of funny -- when I was pregnant with Joseph, I was busy busy busy right up to 35 weeks. That 35th week I had a few finals, a few projects, a masters thesis to present, a masters thesis to fix up, and just general craziness . . . and then it stopped. Abruptly. The next five weeks were filled with walks to the library and walks to the RB to swim and naps and playing the piano and folding baby clothes and trying to not get bored with the pregnancy yoga DVD from the library and I think that's about all I did.

Whereas now, well, I've never been busy with school, but it's been this constant grind the entire time. A good grind, but a constant one. Lots of playing with Joseph and running errands and falling behind at keeping the house clean. I've realized with regards to cleaning that dishes and laundry and toys will always be there, so sometimes I decide to make things that will last a bit longer than a clean house.

Such as this:

Super easy. Super fun. Reasonably cute.

and this:

(we'll see if "Shake it Off Primary Style" and "Are you, are you coming to the Popcorn Tree" happen before the baby gets here)

and blog posts. Like this one!

Anyway, we've got about two more weeks of chugging along like this, and then things will get really exciting. So I guess we can enjoy the relative calm now.

Especially because I don't think my motto of "All I ever want to do is sleep" is going away any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. R wrote that exact outfit on the fourth, same shirt and everything. Go you for biking! And I live the plants, hope they make it through any work on the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R wrote that exact outfit on the fourth, same shirt and everything. Go you for biking! And I live the plants, hope they make it through any work on the building.

    ReplyDelete