Matthew
(After singing the ABC's to him.) "Super why! Super why!" (because they sing the ABCs on the show Super Why, I guess. That's also his go-to phrase whenever he sees the computer.)
"Careful. Careful. Careful." He says that most often when he is tromping around on my bed not being very careful, but he also says it if I happen to lay him down on the couch. He looks at the edge the whole time and cries, "Careful! Careful! Careful!"
(Each time after jumping off the bathroom stool) "Awesome!"
(Earlier this week and last each time I set him in his crib) "Cuddle! Mommy cuddle! Mommy cuddle!" Talk about tugging at the heartstrings.
(After putting a few Legos together) "Rocketship! Rocketship!"
Me: "I like you."
M: "I like you."
Me: "I love you."
M: "I love Daddy."
"Look, there's Elmo on your shoes!"
"Elmo! Elmo! Elmo! Elmo crackers! Elmo crackers! Animal crackers. Animal crackers!!!!!!!"
(At the store as we pass a Batman logo)
"Na na na na na na na na na!"
(Watching animated Beauty at the Beast, when we first see the beast.)
"Dinosaur!!!"
(At every exhibit of a dinosaur museum.)
"Chicken! Cluck cluck!"
In some ways, he's harder to understand than he was a few months ago because he has tried to say sentences that are pretty much impossible to understand. But as you can see, he still has his one word zingers.
Joseph
"You know why I don't watch Mr. Rogers anymore? Lady. Elaine." He just has this flat, angry expression as he says her name. She really is the worst. (side note: Matthew used to say "Rogers" whenever he saw the computer, but since Joseph's show of choice has changed to Super Why, so has Matthew's.)
(On St. Patrick's Day)
"In Ireland, it's very, very green," I told him.
"Lots of grass and trees?" He asked.
"Yes," I said.
"Good. Then you can breathe and breathe and breathe there!" he said with excitement.
(Joseph wanted to play in the snow a bit on the way to the car because it would support his weight, so while I was getting Matthew in he walked around on top of the snow. Then I called that he needed to get in.)
"I wish Matthew wiggled more when you put him in his car seat. Then I could have played more."
"I wish everyone in the world had their own computer."
"I'm as mad as the Hulk. Ughhhhhhhhh."
"You need to return Alexander Hamilton to the library."
"[His friend]'s dad is pretty playful." Not sure who taught him the word playful.
(When Kevin was out of town.)
Me: "The butter's too hard to spread very well on the bread. Would you like toast?"
J: "No. You're not a good toast maker."
When Kevin came back:
Me: "Do you want a peanut butter sandwich?"
J: "No."
Kevin: "What if I made it?"
J: "Sure."
So Kevin made the peanut butter sandwich exactly how I would, and Joseph ate it. Then he said, "You're a good maker, Daddy."
(Looking at a bag from Chick-Fil-A)
J: "There are too many lines in Chick-Fil-A!"
Me: "What do you mean?"
J: "It's supposed to be Chick-Filet, not Chick-Fil-A." (I could tell what he meant by where he put the consonants.)
Me: "You think it has too many hyphens?"
J: "Yeah! Why did they do it that silly way?"
"I wish all the grown-ups were 9 years old so I didn't have to try any foods."
Me: "What kind of chicken should we make for dinner?"
J: "Beef."
"I just remembered something! I remember when I liked bananas!"
Me to Kevin: "Should we make p-i-z-z-a?"
J: "Does that spell pizza? I want pizza!" (Then he and Matthew marched around saying "Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!")
(I feel like most of the food quotes are about junk food. We do feed our kids things besides chick-fil-a, pizza, and meat. Like this week we fed them lettuce, avocado, asparagus, peppers, celery, potatoes, quinoa, and carrots. Except Joseph only eats the carrots, so he said this.)
"Matthew is a better tryer than I am."
"Mommy. Some people start counting with their thumb instead of their pointer finger. They're doing it wrong!"
"I think I remember more things than you, Mommy."
"Like what?"
"I don't know."
"How do you remember things from when I was a baby?"
"When I was in your tummy, I was like the Hulk! Punch punch punch!"
(Doing watercolors with him.)
"Mommy, since you're not very good at painting you better do something easy."
(After Kevin spent 40 minutes scraping snow and ice off the car, and Joseph helped him a little bit)
"I wish the snow was back on our car so we could do it again. Or that we had two cars."
"Every day I try to be a superhero."
And you are. And so is Matthew.


No comments:
Post a Comment