Thursday, October 18, 2018

Creativity

It wasn't that hard staying off of social media. Most of the appeal for me has been in interacting with friends, and as algorithms became more sophisticated at hiding my posts I felt less invested in sharing on Facebook.

What's been surprising is how little I have wanted to say. My mind isn't coming up with quips suitable for a general audience like it used to. I don't feel like making clever blog posts about our adventures. Honestly, I didn't even take any good pictures of my kids when I wasn't on Instagram for 10 days.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been creative. My mind is constantly coming up with classical pieces combined with Primary songs and hymns. I'm coming up with bedtime stories for the boys. And sometimes I'm still funny (though I don't know how to show that side around kids I work with at school or church).

Maybe in order to immerse ourselves in the bigger creative endeavors that make it onto bucket lists, we have to set aside the smaller creativities -- the tweets, the funny texts, the online communities that rob us of our energy. I know lots of people felt muted by the social media fast, but maybe there doesn't need to be as much talking in the first place.

Or maybe there are just times and seasons for everything, and right now is the time for me to be creative on the piano keyboard rather than the computer keyboard.

And in the meantime, there are always the archives!

No comments:

Post a Comment