Saturday, December 1, 2018

Cake

Right now Kevin is in the kitchen working on his birthday cake. We started the tradition of making our own birthday cake years ago, and we have no plans of changing it yet. Every year I begin my hunt anew for the perfect treat, except for the time I accidentally made the same dry brownie cake I had made 2 years earlier. I've had a few things that were pretty close to perfect, but nothing is quite the holy grail of birthday desserts.

On the other hand, Kevin discovered a recipe for cheesecake with an Oreo crust and Snickers on top, and he's been fine with that since 2014. I don't blame him -- it is really delicious.

But I didn't think my family would be too interested in it since I didn't ever remember eating much cheesecake growing up. Nor did I think they would be too interested in the cheesecake that Kevin's parents had gotten while we were in town for Thanksgiving. It had gone untouched for days since we had so much other pie to eat, and I thought it might stay untouched if we took it back to my parents' house. But my mother-in-law insisted, so we took a big chunk of it with us.

The minute we showed my mom what we brought, she was really excited. "I love cheesecake!" she said.

"You do?????" I asked.

"Yes. Don't you remember? My friend Meg had a cheesecake party and I came home with her recipes and made a different cheesecake every month one year."

"Right . . ." I said as I tried to remember any cheesecake I had ever eaten in my own home. I guess I had filed it away with all the real Christmas trees my parents ever had (I only have memories for the fake Christmas tree).

"Later, I would make a cheesecake and have a fudge sauce and a raspberry sauce that we could pour on."

That I did remember, and I apologized for almost convincing Kevin to not bring home any cheesecake.

Anyway, I found this song a few months ago on lds.org and I'm wondering if I sing it over and over if the memory of all those monthly cheesecakes will come back.


I suppose maybe we should make another verse about "When Father bakes his own birthday cheesecake."

No comments:

Post a Comment