So since Kevin, Joseph, and I are moving to Michigan in a month, I decided that we needed to take advantage of all that Utah has to offer, minus the outdoors stuff. (It's just been too hot, and hiking with a newborn sounds about as fun as . . . hiking with a newborn. I think I'll use that expression from now on to describe unpleasant things.)
But what else does Utah have? Turns out that up in Cache Valley they take great pride in their food, and several food places offer tours of their facilities. After seeing a description of the food tour in a Deseret News at Kevin's parents' house, I decided that we needed to go.
Before we went, I felt like this blog post was going to be a Mr. Rogers-esque description of how food is made, complete with amazing pictures. Instead, this is what you'll get. Enjoy!
Rockhill Creamery
On Saturday morning, Kevin and I left Joseph at my parents' house and headed up to Richmond, Utah to see a creamery. We walked up to the building, desperately hoping that the food brochure was enough up to date that the tour still happened so we didn't sound like idiots when we asked for it.
We weren't disappointed.
We learned that Rockhill Creamery makes fancy cheeses--the kind you see French people eating in movies. We sampled the various aged cheeses (Gruyere was my favorite) and then went to the cellar to see a movie about how they made the cheese and see 500 or so cheese wheels stored down there. It was legit.
As we left, my 14-year-old brother Spencer called. "Uh, how do you pick him up?" My parents were gone, my sister Kiana was in the shower, and he was left with a screaming baby and no idea how to take care of him. I tried to describe to Spencer where to put his hands and reminded him to support Joseph's head and that there was milk for Joseph, but finally I gave up and just tried to talk to Joseph over the phone. "Joseph, this is your mommy! You're okay!" (One of the weirder things I've done in a while.) His screams seemed a bit quieter, but that may be because Spencer moved the phone away. He hung up and called my parents, and I decided that my baby would eventually get taken care of. So the food tour continued!
Pepperidge Farm
Since we were already in Richmond, I figured we ought to go visit Pepperidge Farm. When I was in 8th and 9th grade, I got to go visit the actual factory and see how Goldfish were made and how a little robot matched the tops and the bottoms of Milanos, but tours weren't common and I wasn't able to get one arranged. Still, it had a little outlet that sold slightly broken cookies and crackers for way cheap, so I figured we could take advantage of that.
No such luck. There was a sign on the door saying there was no inventory for July 14th. Lame. I had been so looking forward to mint Milanos. So we pressed onward.
Gossner's Cheese
I already knew that there was no tour available for Gossner's, but the brochure said that there were windows that we could look through to watch the action. Except . . . there's no action on Saturdays. So we got to see idle machinery.
On the upside, there were lots of cheese samples in the store, including squeaky cheese. Any trip that involves free cheese and crackers is a success.
Aggie Ice Cream Tour
This one wasn't originally on the agenda, but we decided to go and see if it looked fun. $3 each. Never mind.
("But you would have gotten that much worth in ice cream!" my mom said when we told her that we didn't go. Oh well.)
And thus ended Saturday's adventures.
And Joseph was fine when we got home.
No comments:
Post a Comment