Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Joining the Celebration

When the Proclamation on the Family first came out, I was 5, and I thought it was boring.

I don't remember the night it came out, but I do remember all the adults talking about it at church over the next few weeks. The next thing I knew, we had a framed copy in our family room.

And I didn't get the big deal. I would stare at it, but it simply wasn't at the level of the American Girl books I liked to read so I comprehended very little. Even when I understood the words a few years later, I didn't understand the implications of the words.

Well, I've both read and lived a lot longer now, and I know that the Proclamation says a lot of true, important things. I really feel like it was written for my generation -- written then so we could grow up with it and let it help shape our views on the family.

Because I think it's so great, I've decided to dedicate the next few posts to the Proclamation. I noticed that throughout  the Mormon bloggosphere , a celebration on the Proclamation is going on this week. While I am by no means one of "those" bloggers, I figured I might as well join in the fun!

So you can look forward to insights about our divine heritage, fatherhood, motherhood, children, and any other ideas which happen to be floating past my cerebrum these days.

Enjoy!

1 comment: