Thursday, September 6, 2012

Restrooms

I guess I was spoiled at BYU. All the bathrooms I regularly used had couches in them. Granted, I didn't have Joseph til I was done with classes, but it was still nice to have a couch to nap on. And then once I had Joseph and went up to campus occasionally, it was nice to have a couch to nurse on (unless someone was napping on it . . .). But as we traveled across the country, I found no couches in bathrooms. None. I've been so disillusioned.

It reminds me of when I was 4 or 5 and was at a restaurant with my family. I was tired, and I told my parents I wanted to lie down and rest.

My grandma just heard the last word. "You want to use the restroom?"

A rest-room! What a wonderful idea! I conjured up an image of a rest-room in my mind. It had beds and couches, and probably even a table with cupcakes on it. I eagerly agreed to go see the rest-room.

She and my mom took me there, and what did I find when we opened the door?

Toilets. And a sink. What was this madness? Why had they brought me to a bathroom?

"There's a rug on the floor. You could rest on that," my mom said.

"No, I wanted a place to lie down, like a couch!" I said.

"Oh, you wanted an American restroom!" they said. Even all these years later, I'm pretty sure that's what they said. I have no idea why an American restroom would have couches, because I've seen a lot of American restrooms and they do not have couches.  Maybe they meant a BYU restroom.

Anyway, I don't remember if I ever got my nap or if I just ate my food at the restaurant. But I've been disillusioned about restrooms ever since. More so since I actually use the couch for the intended purpose now.

Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Just wait...more times will come when you think, "but byu had it!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women's restrooms in Nordstrom always have couches... So when in doubt just head to the mall!

    ReplyDelete