Monday, January 14, 2013

Thanks, Dad

After I sent out a plea for help regarding the interpretation of some wooden blocks we recently purchased, I received this email from my father:

Kyra –

Please allow me to set the record straight on some of the blocks.

-          Exhibit A is obviously a member of the “long legged lemming” species.
-          Having just read about Sampson (I am also doing Old Testament, so I appreciated your comments), I am pretty sure that this is the jawbone of an ass, or a lion, or something.  We could call this block “Lehi” and be etomylogically defensible.  It obviously can’t be a dragon or a sea monster, since they don’t exist.
-          C is obviously a pair of dissimilarly-sized cherry bombs, with an arrow indicating the net direction of the blast if they are detonated.
-          D was correctly oriented the first time.  It is the symbols of an offshoot of a Zorastrian sect, which later influenced early soviet-era planners.
-          A baby long legged lemming.  They are born with ears, but they are absorbed as they age.
-          A PN junction with a little bit of polysilicon trace.  (Jeesh!  What do they teach down at BYU?)
-          Clearly a tram.  You got that one right.
-          TV’s never have legs like that these days.  This is a little girl microwave, with a bow.
-          H: It is turned sideways.  This is a jet-powered jet.
-          Lumiere.  Or Alley Oop sitting in a boat (he always had thoese weird-shaped arms.)
-          J: It is upside down.  It is one of those sleek aluminum campers, with elongated elliptical wheels.
-          A pensive Joseph.  I got that one.

I am impressed that you have selected such a culturally and linguistically diverse set of blocks.  Nothing but the finest for the education of our little one.

I do remember there being an expectation that the blocks displayed everyday objects, which most of these are not, but perhaps I never checked the cupboards properly growing up. At any rate, thank you, Dad for enlightening us. And thank you, Mom, for ascertaining that these blocks will make Joseph a creative genius. I have hope for the future again.

No comments:

Post a Comment