When I was 9 or 10, I realized I hadn't played with some of my toys for a while. I went down to the playroom and got out the farm toys - the farmer, his wife, the horse, the fence, and began to make a story up.
But something snapped in my brain less than a minute into my play. I instantly realized that I didn't like playing with toys anymore. I immediately cleaned up the toys and walked away, never to play with them again.
And that was that. Oh, maybe I played with Barbies a bit longer (can't remember), and I was still fine with making marble contraptions, but the actual making up stories with toys lost its appeal in an instant.
Until now.
Yep. I play with Joseph's toys now. I play with them like I'm 4 years old -- making up stories with bad guys and good guys, all the while singing the plot to Joseph. I never do it unless he's playing, too, of course -- he's at the age where toys are actually kind of fun to knock against each other, which means he can help the story move along a bit. But for the most part it's just me singing and moving the animals and vehicles around. Kevin is highly amused.
You know, someday Joseph will be aware enough to know how cool I am not. But I am grateful that that day is not today.
No comments:
Post a Comment