It is so cold in the Midwest! As I've seen statuses and pictures from friends in Michigan, I've shivered in sympathy. As I've observed online what windchill makes it feel like outside, I shake my head in dismay. I am not ready to go back tomorrow, not ready to go from the airport terminal to a car on the curb late at night, then from the parking lot to our house. Brrrrr.
As I've thought about my poor friends who've endured this for a few days, I wondered what I could do to help. I thought about sending pictures of warm places to give them hope, like desert islands or volcanoes. But then when I thought about desert islands, this picture was the first one that came to mind:
Yep. I was one of "those" people. The kind that took desktop backgrounds and added drowning people to the scene to make it funnier. (Let's just assume the sailboat in the background gets there in time.) Come to think of it, I may have been the only one of "those" people, period. In my defense, I was almost 15, I was bored of AP Euro homework, and I've always had an affinity for MS Paint. So I messed with Desktop backgrounds in my spare time.
(Although, clearly, I didn't have enough spare time to figure out how to get rid of the icons when I print-screened the picture to edit it in Paint. So you also get to see what we used on the computer back in 2005.)
The tulips
![]() |
| The t-shirt said "I'm not short. I'm vertically challenged." I might have had a complex. |
The moon
![]() |
| This is an idea stolen from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where he imagines taking a moon buggy and driving "Calvin is great" across the moon. I don't think my family got it either. |
The sneeze
![]() |
| This one is my favorite. |
Rockabye
![]() |
| I guess I figured out how to get rid of icons by the time I made this one. |
After finishing the sleepy Stonehenge girl, I may have acquired a bit more of a life. So the era of embellished desktop backgrounds came to an end.
Though if it stays this cold and we are stuck indoors, I think it might start up again.





This is wonderful! And I totally used to do this too, so if it's weird, at least there are two of us?
ReplyDelete