I used up most of my pictures about the trip, but here are a few other things I remembered:
-It was rainy more than half the time. Perhaps if we had checked the weather forecast, we would have known that. But we didn't, or it changed by the time we got there, so we packed as if it would be sunny and warm. At one point while we were packing, we sort of asked each other, "Should we bring jackets?" And then we sort of responded to each other, "Nah. It's May." I guess we didn't really need them since of course there were jackets lying around, but it was funny how conscientious we were about not bringing them in the first place.
-Besides dealing with rain, we also dealt with sickness about half the time as well. It seemed like just about any time there was a chance for us to meet a new baby, we were sick enough that we decided it'd be a bad idea. And then the next day we'd be feeling better. Back and forth with the starts of colds and then the sudden disappearance and then a lot of unexplained crankiness from Joseph which then turned out to be caused by a sore throat or major congestion, on and on and on. The Saturday we were with my family, I woke up with a horrible sore throat and a nasty head cold. That evening, we were visiting family down in Lindon. I had sort of isolated myself on the couch with a book when my little cousin came up to me and started poking my face all over. It was fine until she stuck her fingers in my mouth. "Um, you're going to want to wash those because my mouth is kind of yucky," I told her. She looked at me for a moment and then stuck those same fingers back into her mouth. I never found out if she caught my cold or not. Hope not. Her mom had a baby the day before, after all.
-On our way back to Michigan, we flew Southwest. It was the first time in a long time either of us had flown Southwest, so we didn't realize that we should check in as soon as possible to get decent seats. By the time we remembered, we were at the back of Zone B or the front of Zone C. We were sort of counting people taking pity on us so that we could still sit together. On our flight to Chicago, we ended up boarding pretty early on because we had a small child. On the second flight, we stood off to the side while special people got to pre-board, when all of the sudden one of the officials pointed at us.
"You guys get to board now because pregnancy is a temporary disability, and he (pointing to Kevin) did it to you." Hard to argue with that.
-Of course, the hard thing about being first to board is that it means you are sitting still for longer, which is hard for a toddler. So we did everything we could to entertain Joseph including starting a bedtime routine for him. We first modeled it by putting one of his stuffed animals to bed. After pretending to brush its teeth, we asked Joseph if he wanted to read it a story. He nodded and pulled out a safety pamphlet. "Once upon a time there was a plane that wanted to crash into the water. And there was a man on the plane that wanted to get into the water. So the plane went into the water." There was just enough turbulence and strange whirring sounds coming from the plane that as we flew over Lake Michigan those words kept coming back to me over and over. But we made it fine.
-Oh, and speaking of turbulence . . . our flight from Detroit to Denver was insane! The seatbelt sign was on for all but the last hour of the flight. I dozed off enough to only be mildly aware of it, but I think it hit Kevin pretty hard. As for Joseph, it's hard to really mind stuff like that when a) you're on an airplane!!!! and b) you are busy watching Lightning McQueen. So he still loves to fly.
-One last story. The past few times I had gone home, I would chip away at Understanding the Book of Mormon by Grant Hardy. Since Duchesne is generally a little less eventful than Providence, I asked my mom to leave it at my grandma's house for us to pick up before heading to Duchesne. She left a lot of other books, but not that one since she couldn't find it. We still couldn't find it when we went to Providence, so I just read other stuff. Then, the day we got back to Ann Arbor, I decided to check the library catalog on a whim. And they had it! We had gone all the way to Utah to read a book when it was in Michigan the whole time. It was just like the Wizard of Oz, somehow.
. . . and that should be my last post about our Utah trip. Unless I remember other stories, which is doubtful at this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment