After saying good-bye to Kevin's family, we were off to Logan! On our way there, we had a few stops we had to make. After all, we were driving through the beautiful countryside where the cult classic Troll 2 was filmed. Why we've seen it, I'm still not sure. What we think of it, I'm still not sure. Can we recommend it? Not categorically. But nonetheless, we felt we owed it to the movie to stop by some of its sites. So we put the addresses into the GPS, and spent about 20 minutes total visiting its hallowed ground. First stop was the farmhouse where most of the action occurred.
And what it looked like in person:
It got torn down.
As we were driving through the appropriate scenery, I tried to reenact this scene with Joseph:
But it didn't quite work.
Man, though, that was a pretty drive. I guess most anywhere is going to look pretty when it gets a few inches of rain, but those canyons and mountains were just shimmering.
My camera doesn't really have "shimmer" setting, I guess. Especially not at 70 mph.
We stopped by Porterville to see the old chapel where much of the movie was set,
This isn't quite what it looked like when it was filmed 25 years ago
stopped by my aunt's house in Hooper, and then made it to my parents' house!
The next day, we turned around and headed south to spend the day in Provo with sisters and BYU faculty. Since we weren't sure if we'd see Jennie or not, we decided to decorate her door with heartfelt compliments (the "you smell better than the bus when the heater turns on" kind since that's the only kind I really know how to do).
Uzbekistani refugee -- Joseph style
Uzbekistani refugee -- Derek style
Attacking Jennie's door with compliments and goldfish snacks
We did end up seeing Jennie and got to eat dinner with her! As a funny side note, we always always always order water when we go to restaurants. So when Jennie just said first thing to the waiter that "We're all getting water," she was probably making a well-educated guess. But this was Brick Oven! There was root beer! So we didn't end up getting water. Except for her.
And then, we did lots of fun things that have no photographic evidence! But here are the things that do:
Like father-in-law, like son-in-law
From Kaylie's cute baby shower
6 weeks apart
At the Logan River
Large-scale Pooh sticks
It . . . wasn't really that warm a lot of the days we were there. I think some of those clouds deposited snow on the mountains.
Yep, there's some snow. From about February to May I don't think there was any snow up there on Little Baldy. Speaking of Little Baldy, I just read that Disney is making a remake of "Night on Bald Mountain" because they are desperate. I think some people should hurry and make "Night on Little Baldy" because it's bound to be better. And it's not that hard of a walk to the top.
After two wonderful weeks with family, it was time to return back to Michigan.
No comments:
Post a Comment