Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Consanguinity

After family prayer the other night, Kevin and I kissed as we usually do. Instead of the quick peck, we kept kissing for a few seconds.

When we looked up, Joseph was looking at us with a look of utter disgust.

"What's the matter?" we asked.

"It's  . . . WEIRD!" he said after some hesitation.

"Someday you'll like to do that," Kevin told him. "Someday you'll marry a girl and want to kiss her."

"I want Mommy to have a baby sister," he responded. "So I can marry her."

We tried to explain that that's not how it usually works. We gave examples of his friends with little sisters and told him that they wouldn't get married. He looked genuinely surprised by this news.

"Who can I marry then?"

We listed off a bunch of girls roughly his age to give him some ideas. "Actually, it's probably someone you don't know yet," Kevin said.

"Or . . . I could marry Mommy!"

Or . . . not. I was pretty flattered though.

No comments:

Post a Comment