Thursday, November 10, 2016

Banned Books M-ouster

We still have a mouse problem.

Every now and then we find a new hole with new droppings. We disinfect and clean and plug in that hole and set more traps, but so far we've haven't caught one that we know is there. Tricky little devil.

I have gotten accustomed to living in a war zone. Whereas we maybe wouldn't sweep every night, now it is a non negotiable. At night when we are sitting quietly and I hear sounds from the kitchen, no longer do we brush it off as just my imagination. And every night Kevin sets out the traps, even though we haven't caught a mouse in almost two weeks.

I still live in fear, but it is manageable. It mostly manifests itself in book choices.

I went to the library today, perusing the shelves for a chapter book to read to Joseph. I saw Stuart Little and thought, oh that would be fun!

Wait it's about a mouse. So I put it back.

Looked at the DVDs. There was Cinderella! That's a fun one!

Also involves mice. Secretly running the house.

Aristocats? There's a mouse.

I turn away from that section and get a few more books. Astonishingly, Chester's Way sneaks through my filter until much later and we check it out. Same with some Space Dog book that also has a mouse astronaut. A moustronaut.

We go home and I look again for chapter books to read. We had started Mouse and the Motorcycle a while ago, but banning that one is a no brainer. What was that bellboy thinking???

Matthew comes up to me with Goodnight Moon. I read it, but the whole time I frown at the young mouse making the rounds through the room. He's probably making messes everywhere! That is going to be no fun to clean up. And those two little kittens are not doing their job.

Maybe soon I will enjoy mouse-centric entertainment again. I mean, eventually we'll figure out the mouse problem.

But I will probably never watch Ratatouille again.

No comments:

Post a Comment