Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Magical Two and a Half

Matthew made it to two and a half! Different kids have different sweet spots, but so far for Joseph and Matthew 2 1/2 has been pretty good.


It wasn't easy getting here. The last 9 or so months felt like a blur of motion, meltdowns, and messes, and once Jacob was born the craziness went into overdrive.

But gradually, with each subsequent molar cutting through (just two more to go, and they're already partially erupted!), Matthew has become more and more mellow and even more delightful.

So, here are some cute and funny facts about our wonderful little boy. 

  • He loves to do whatever Joseph is doing. This is especially true for school stuff. He was so sad when he didn't get to stay with Joseph when we dropped him off after an eye doctor appointment in the morning. He had even started taking his coat off and putting it in a cubby
  • He also really likes whatever Joseph brings home with him from school. Most of the sight words worksheets are immediately commandeered by Matthew and he starts to color them. He has watched Joseph color enough that he is actually pretty good at coloring in the lines too.
They can get so focused!

My grandma might appreciate that this has been christened his Bird Superman shirt.
  • He is gradually moving away from "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and "You're Welcome" (I asked him once what Maui's name was, and he said Welcome!), but unfortunately his replacement song is much worse. It's this Studio C Avengers song that is no longer funny at all. I have been doing everything I can to distract him whenever he wants to watch it or sing it. Hopefully it's short-lived.
  • His other fixation is his Superman shirt. Joseph wore it 3/5 days for like 20 months so I am pretty sick of it. Sometimes it works to hide it, but sometimes I accidentally find it right when he walks into the room. Oops. Last week he cried for a lot of the morning because his mouth hurt but the object of his sadness was the shirt that he couldn't wear because it needed a day off. At one point I calmed him down by singing "Down By the Bay." When I asked for him to suggest an animal, he said "Superman" and started crying again for like another half hour. Whew. Good to know kids usually grow out of this.
  • He loves to sing. He of course can belt out "Let's Go Fly a Kite" like nobody's business or the occasional line in the Avengers song, but he also makes up his own songs or own words to songs. For example, one day he was listing every single letter he could find on the Cheerios box and singing "these are the letters in our town." Other favorites include "Go Go Go Joseph," "You're Welcome," "Baa Baa Black Sheep" (he changes the words a lot for that), and "Marching Marching Hop hop hop." He manages to insert the word Superman or Captain America in lots of places. My favorites are when he sings the "I love you" songs I sing to Jacob.
  • He loves trains so much. He loves building train tracks until it gets frustrating and he loves having the trains interact with each other. They have even acted out parts of "Caps for Sale." Today I told the boys to play upstairs while I tidied up a bit, and I heard Matthew ordering Joseph "Play trains with me! 1, 2, 3, trains!" with the same warning voice I use with him when I count to three. He also loves Magna Tiles, Legos, puzzles, and transformers. 
    And stickers. He sometimes sports like 20 at a time. 
  • The other day he was having Jenga blocks interact with each other as they were heading off to school and work. "Bye, have a great day! Wait, where are my keys?" Not sure how he ever heard that phrase . . .
    He isn't a huge fan of the cold, so our trips outside are often short.
  • He is at a fun stage where he picks up phrases and uses them slightly incorrectly. For example, he said, "Sometimes I wake up, just in case." It's a little bit like Engrish. He calls Kleenexes "nose wipes" because sometimes we have said "you need a nose wipe!" when he needs his nose wiped. It's all totally logical and yet just a little off. I once set up an obstacle course and he told Kevin that we had an octopus horse downstairs. We were talking about body parts and I pointed to his rib cage. He kept asking where his rib cage was and finally went upstairs to get it. He meant red cape.
    He handed these to me and said, "Here you go! Don't eat them!"
  • Whenever I read a book to him, he reads along with me, even if he doesn't know the words at all. So I just get this cute mumbling echo the whole time. But then later, it's fun to hear him repeat the story to himself with a few of the right words here and there.

  • He gives a lot of funny answers to our questions. Kevin asked "Name someone who loves you" with the correct answer being Heavenly Father or Jesus. Matthew said, "Superman!" Sometimes I ask how old someone is and he usually says 25. Last night I asked what Jesus' last name is and he said Sunbeam! He also announced during bedtime that Jesus got married. Joseph said, "No he didn't! Everyone gets married instead of Jesus." I've never read The da Vinci code but I think I'm living it.
  • He's pretty smiley, especially out and about. The other night I sneaked into their room and he was just lying there grinning at me. I would have preferred him to be asleep, but man, that huge smile was a close second. When he's in a good mood he's so polite, helpful, and fun. (And when he's not . . . well, we survive.)
    He's figured out his food pretty well. Bananas should always have sprinkles. Trips to the store should always include apples. TV shows should always have carrots. Lunches should always include peanut butter sandwiches.
  • He loves Jacob a lot. He likes to tell him that he can't put things in his mouth and always wants to hold him. It's still a good thing that Jacob is a sturdy little baby because Matthew sometimes wants to squish him just a little bit.
    This was short-lived, but since Jacob didn't mind we took a quick picture.

    Jacob could hold him!

    Three cute boys!
  • And oh, does he loves to dance. It's the best.


    (I've been trying to get this video for like a year. He used to wiggle standing up, but I guess he knows that puppies are on all fours.)


    Such a funny kid.

We sure like this age, and we sure like this boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment