Well, that's not how we roll around here. We have filled the past few weeks of winter with totally legitimate holidays. For example:
1. Half Birthday Season: At some point in the past several weeks, Matthew and Jacob had half birthdays! I celebrated by making a white board that announced it. Matthew said repeatedly that he wanted a building cake, but so far we haven't made one.
![]() |
| I love him. |
![]() |
| And him. |
2. 333 month-day: At the end of January, I was 333 months old, which I thought was a cool number. I celebrated by telling my mom, and she congratulated me back.
3. Moon Day! This one was pretty exciting for the Moon-Moon clan. I mean, it had been more than 150 years since the last blue blood supermoon, so this was a really special event. Here's what we did to celebrate:
- The night before, we made pancakes that were red and blue to symbolize the blood moon and blue moon. Only, I had lent out my blue food coloring and couldn't remember who had it, so we went with green.
- The next morning, Kevin and I went to an intersection by our home where there weren't so many trees so we could see the lunar eclipse. Unfortunately, the moon set when it was about the size of a thick big toe toenail, so we didn't see it when it was cool and red. I just had to remember how it looked back in September 2015.
![]() |
| We didn't end up walking to the divinity school to see the eclipse, but we were glad we scouted it out because it was really cool. |
- Jacob and Matthew had checkups so we went to the doctor. Jacob got shots and bled a little, so he became my blood Moon. Matthew was a blue Moon when they weighed him because for some reason that terrifies him. But they were both super cute Moons as usual.
- Joseph had early dismissal so we got to do lots of attempts at Super Blue Blood Moon pictures
| Blood Moon bandaid |
- I couldn't figure out how to make origami cows so we made lots of origami frogs and pretended they were cows. And they jumped over the moon. But actually they still looked like frogs, and the moon Joseph made looked more like a lake.
![]() |
- I recently bought cotton balls and they got scattered around. So we pretended they were moon rocks and they were astronauts collecting them. (Side note: Both Joseph and Matthew wanted to wear different shirts than the ones I had asked them to, so as soon as my photo shoot was done they were back in their other Moon shirts.) (Other side note: Matthew calls them snowballs now, which I love.)
- I decorated with some moon books.

The dog was assigned some clothing too -- a Moon Dog shirt. Not to be confused with the Moon Moon Dog, which of course offends me. - For dinner we had pizza . . . because pizza is round. When we said we were having a moon party, Matthew called it a spaghetti party. Maybe he was thinking of the Aikendrum song, since there was a man who lived in the moon whose hair was made of spaghetti in that song. But at least we got it right with the pizza since his face was made of pizza.
- For snack I found star crunch treats at the store. Never found Moon Pies.
- I had sort of wanted to make traditional Moon Cakes, but it looked complicated. But a treat we typically call giant eclair is also called Moon Cake. So we made that.
- Oh. And we found moon music and danced to it on the trampoline. Like this:
![]() |
| Matthew called it Wonder Woman cake. |
4. Groundhog's Day: Celebrated by having colds and by dealing with cold weather. Still. Joseph might have done something at school.
5. e day! So, e is approximately 2.7182818, and so 2/7/18 was a great day to celebrate it! We went all out for it! (Minus the fact that we never went out, except Kevin who drove to the airport for a job interview.)
- Joseph had a snow day, so we all went for a natural look.
- E is for eye and ear, and I worried about both for Jacob. He woke up with goopy, pink, swollen eyes. Since his eardrum had been slightly red at his appointment the week before, I was afraid that this had suddenly turned into an infection. Ear, eye, sinus, who knew? With Kevin leaving and snow and freezing rain threatening to come later, e was for feeling on edge much of the day. (Turns out my phone's voice mail wasn't working right and I didn't have service for some reason, so I waited and waited for them to call back for a long time. Also, they called Kevin who was on an airplane, so that didn't help either.) But luckily we didn't have to go in, and it wasn't an infection.
- We had cinnamon rolls. Not quite logarithmic, but who can ever refuse a reason for cinnamon rolls?
- E is for eggs, so we had eggs for lunch.
- Since is Euler's number, we had oil on sweet potatoes and roasted them.
- We celebrated Phi Day (1.618) a month late since it has spirals too. We made Archimedes spirals, logarithmic spirals, and Fibonacci spirals with the awesome quilt my aunt made for us.
- We made e's out of pipe cleaners. E is for emotions, of which there are always plenty, especially when little ones have colds. E is for elephant and Eeyore, which watched us on the stairs all day. E is for environment, which had lots of freezing rain.

- My brother on his mission joined in on the celebration, too.
| get it? |
6. 100th day of school.
- Considered checking out Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten from the library, but didn't.
- Helped Joseph dress up like a kid in 1918 or a 100 year old man.

Most dentures are probably better than these.
7. Super Bowl.
- Celebrated by not watching.
- I was slow leaving Sunday School, so priesthood was already starting. They were singing America the Beautiful, 4th verse. I left before I found out why. I mean, Lincoln's birthday was the next day, but that didn't seem like a normal reason to sing it. Later I found out. "Oh beautiful for patriot's dream." Groannnnnnnnnnn.
8. Chinese New Year
- Our neighbors gave us Red Bean Buns.
- Ate potstickers and fried rice at some point in the last fortnight.
- Didn't go to an activity at the school because people felt sick.
9. Valentine's Day
- Bought myself chocolate and shared some with Kevin
- Got a funny poem from Kevin which included lines about space heaters that melt the electrical outlet even though they're not on that much. Because that also happened on Valentine's Day. Don't leave it plugged in. Don't turn your space heater on, period, for that matter.
- Helped Joseph write his classmates' names on PJ Masks Valentines and died a slow death in the process. Made the mistake of putting the stickers in the little slots too.
- Steak was on sale a little while ago so we thawed it and cooked it and ate it. Had to break it to our kids that they can't eat steak every day now even though they want to.
- Celebrated the fact that 2+14+2+0=18 on 2/14/2018.
10. Everyone's Feeling Better Day
- Celebrated by not wiping any noses for the first time in about a month. It was magical. Best holiday ever.
11. President's Day
- Celebrated by making a dessert with cherries in it. Made it up as I went along. My kids were happy to eat the marshmallows that didn't touch any cherries.
- Reassured myself that most US presidents haven't been that great. Chester A. Arthur is underrated.
12. Square Root of 5 day (2/23)
















No comments:
Post a Comment