Monday, September 16, 2013

Now this is a portrait

Hello everyone! As part of my Family Proclamation series I thought it would be fun to share some family pictures! (Family proclamation . . . family pictures . . . both have the word "family" in it . . . not that much of a stretch, right? If you're not related you might find this boring. But hey, you can still send me pictures of your family if you want to feel more invested.)

So, first up, here are some of the siblings of the McKay family, some time after the invention of the camera (my guess is 1900):


What a respectable looking bunch. Here are some observations for which I hope they won't haunt me:

  • Check out the girls' dresses! They look like black leather jackets with puffed sleeves! If motorcycles had been invented, they probably would have hopped on them right after they took the picture.
  • I guess back then it was the style for men to flip their hair up a bit. The old-fashioned equivalent of wings, I suppose.
  • Tuxes haven't changed that much in a century.
  • Even with stony faces, some people are still more photogenic than others. (Pretty sure my great-great grandpa is the best-looking one. :D)
  • I know we have plenty of problems these days, but at least they don't include wearing ruffly turtlenecks.
  • Looking at the family history for this family, one of the siblings (not pictured here I don't think) had the middle name of "Favorite." I guess inferiority complexes were not invented back then because otherwise I'm sure all the other siblings would have had one.
So there you have it. Oh, and here's a puzzle for you -- who's the moderately famous person in this photo? (He's famous to Mormons, but not many other people.) Here's a hint: His hairstyle didn't change that much over his lifetime. If you are related to me, wait to answer the question until other people get the chance to guess.

Tune in next time to find out the answer and to see more awesome photos!

1 comment:

  1. Based on the last name, I'm gonna go with David O. McKay. Also, I think the nicest looking boy is the first one from the right (next to the girl in front). Is that your Gpa?

    ReplyDelete