Welcome back to Phamily Phroclamation Photo Phun! Okay, I just made that up, and it looks kind of gross. I'm keeping it though because alliteration.
Also, congrats to Dani for both guessing who the famous person was in last time's photo (David O. McKay -- he's the one on the far right . . . you can see it in his eyes), and who my great-great grandpa was (front row, next to the woman on the left). As your prize, I'm sending you a metaphorical toaster oven!
For the next picture, we're going to hop ahead half a century to the 1950s! Nostalgia was invented because of pictures like this one:
- You know how we try so hard today to get pictures to look vintage? Yeah, this was just normal for them. And real.
- My grandma reminds me of Heidi from the old Shirley Temple movie. I love it.
- It looks like Provo's always been an awesome place to celebrate the 4th of July. I mean, the banner says "BEHOLD AMERICA" -- can't get more patriotic than that! (Also, "behold America" sounds like a campaign slogan in Utah County these days.)
I suppose I should have asked this before posting, but what else do you remember about this picture, Grandma?
Thanks to everyone who's been sending me pictures! Keep them coming!

Not much, just that it was a staged photo-shoot to advertise one of the first big Provo 4th of July celebrations. They were so much fun. A cannon would sound early in the morning and we would head to the parade and to the carnival, etc. It was originally started to keep people in Provo. All the Stake Presidents organized it because too many people were killed on the roads because of holiday travel. I think it worked for a few years and then everyone started traveling to Provo.
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, many years after this picture was taken, your Grandpa took me on our first date to the carnival and Stadium of Fire (in the old BYU Stadium).
Not to be picky, but could it be a food processor instead?
ReplyDelete