Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Finishing the gratitude list

Last year, I wanted to get to 100 things I was thankful for but only got to 75 (see herehere, and here). Since that requires less brain power than finishing the 6 (that's right, 6!)* drafts on heavy topics that I've gotten myself muddled into, I give you the remaining 25 silly things I am grateful for.

76. I am grateful for fingernail clippers.

77. I am grateful for Google Hangouts.

78. I am especially grateful for the Google Effects during Google Hangouts, even if Joseph isn't.

79. I am grateful that I can buy snack foods for Joseph that I want to eat rather than succumbing to the evil peer pressure of Cheese Nips and Goldfish and (heaven forbid) raisins.

80. I am grateful that I didn't end up being a sociopath like my mom was afraid I might be because I stomped on a praying mantis once.

81. I am grateful for cinnamon.

82. I am grateful that I don't have to care that much about sports, especially when the teams I like lose (which is often).

83. I am grateful that eventually I will probably stop giving Joseph bad haircuts.

84. I am grateful that one day he will stop moving around while I cut his hair.

85. I am really, really grateful for chocolate chips this week.

86. I am grateful for the year 1986.

87. I am grateful that I might gradually be getting more mature, because I don't hate wiping noses or folding laundry quite as much as I did 6 months ago. Which is good, because I do them a lot.

88. I am grateful for Sandra Boynton and the wonderful contributions she has made to children's literature.

89. I am also kind of grateful for Eric Carle. But just kind of. His prose is too wordy.

90. I am grateful for the Oxcart song.

91. I am grateful Joseph is showing no signs of being a sociopath.

92. I am grateful that Kevin likes to cook.

93. I am grateful for glycolysis.

94. I am grateful that my parents' and aunts' self esteem weren't shattered too much by how my siblings and cousins and I would always pretend to be orphans when we played.

95. I am grateful I don't bang my head on hard surfaces just to see what it feels like.

96. I am grateful for riboflavin, if only because it has a cool name.

97. I am grateful it's been a while since I've mixed up baking soda and baking powder, and that accidentally leaving out salt doesn't completely kill the taste of rolls or cookies.

98. I am really grateful for my degree, so that besides teaching Joseph what the fox says, I can teach him what the polar bear says (arrrr de arrrrrr de theta) and he repeats it happily.

99. I am grateful that classical composers lived when they did, and not now, because even if they wrote the same music now that they did then, there's way too much junk now for theirs to have been noticed. (Well, probably.)

100. I am grateful for Cheerios and milk. (Saved the best for last, I know.)

And, I am grateful for you! And everyone! And everything! Except raisins.












*Technically, 6!=120, not 6. 3!=6, but that didn't make sense in that context.

No comments:

Post a Comment