Monday, November 11, 2013

Photographs

Last year, I finally got around to reading the last 5 books in the Anne of Green Gables series. In Anne of Windy Poplars, there's one chapter where she happens upon a photographer and a little boy at the same time, and she decides to get a picture taken of the boy. (Or something like that. I confess I wasn't reading that part super carefully because there was no Gilbert Blythe.)

Anyway, a few weeks later, she meets this man who is grieving over the loss of his son. She puts two and two together and realizes the little boy she helped get a picture for was the man's son. So she gives him a photograph of his son and he gets really happy because he had never had any pictures of him. And once again, Anne saves the day. (She does that a lot in the later books.)

I was thinking of this sweet little story the other day and laughed at how little it pertained to me. I don't even want to think about how many gigabytes are dedicated to my son (probably about one per month, give or take). There are plenty of pictures to remember him by.

Of course, if you were to randomly pick the pictures, it might not go so well. In fact, it would probably be a selection like this:






or if you got pretty unlucky,


With a selection like that, you might have been better off finding good pictures in the 1890s.

Although, I guess the bright side to that last picture is that it's reusable. After all, there will probably not be 20 GB each of subsequent children.

1 comment:

  1. I've actually thought about this before. Even though I take about a ga-zillion pictures, I feel a tiny twinge of guilt every time I delete anything (even if I have five pictures that look almost completely identical), because I always think, "What if one day my baby was gone and I've deleted this picture??" (I'm morbid like that.)

    Aren't we lucky that we live in this digital age where we can take countless photos of our children and hold onto every single second of their childhood? Some people say that everyone takes too many photos and videos and tweet and FB too much instead of just living in the moment, but I for one don't regret any pictures I've ever taken of my kids. I'm always glad I took the photo.

    ReplyDelete