Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What's in a name?


The other day, I was looking at the ward directory and noticed something that caught my eye. I thought to myself, "Hey, this is probably a cool person!" Then I thought about it and realized I had come to this conclusion primarily based on her area code.

What this means, obviously, is that I would never make a good NBA referee because I would probably determine fouls based on if the player's jersey had a prime number or not, but that's kind of beside the point. The main thing is, it got me thinking about other times where I unconsciously decide to like someone based only on things that might show up in a ward directory. Here are some examples of people I might be predisposed to like:
  • Someone whose phone number has the same area code as mine. I'm telling ya, growing up an outsider of the Wasatch Front, complete with getting the shaft from the 801 area code, has created some serious solidarity with 435-ers. Even the ones from St. George.
  • Someone whose first name or middle name is the same as my middle name (Michelle). It's kinda like this.
  • But not, interestingly, someone whose first name is the same as mine. Usually when I see that, my initial reaction is, "They probably pronounce it the other way." Except for Kyra Sedgewick, who also married a Kevin and kept her last name.
  • Someone whose name is probably spelled wrong or pronounced wrong frequently. Within reason. I'm talking about the occasional "y" instead of "i" or "i" instead of "e." Not like La-a (pronounced ladasha).
  • Someone born the same month as me. Spring is the best.

Have you noticed any weird details that make you predisposed to like a person before you even meet them?

2 comments:

  1. If they like popping toes. (I guess that's something you usually find out once you've met them. But it's pretty big. ;)

    ReplyDelete