Thursday, March 6, 2014

Enchiladas

This recipe is from my friend Liz, but I love it so much I kind of want to claim it as my own.

Why do I like it, when I usually don't care about enchiladas? I think it's the sauce on top. The spices added to a salsa just make it so good! And hey, the filling's not bad either.

Here is the recipe:

Chicken Enchiladas – Serves 4

To make the filling and wrapping:
4 or 5 tortillas
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into cubes (I usually end up using about 1 large boneless chicken breast or 2 smaller ones)
½ onion, chopped
½ C. sour cream (or ¼ C, just depends on how creamy you want the filling to be)
½ C. cream of chicken soup
½ C. shredded cheddar cheese, + some extra for the topping
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Saute onions with chicken in a skillet. Then, add all other ingredients (except tortillas!). Put filling into tortillas, roll up, then pour sauce (see below) over top. Sprinkle with leftover cheddar cheese.
3. Cook for ~20 minutes.

To make the sauce:
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ C. water
3 tsp. chili powder
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 C. onion, grated
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. dried parsley
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ C. salsa
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large sauce pan, sauté garlic and onion ~ 1 min. Add all other ingredients, then remove from heat once mixed.

Notes from me:
I tend to like less sour cream, so I use the 1/4 cup option. I once tried using yogurt instead, and it just didn't work right, so don't try that.
One important thing is to cook the chicken right. Kevin is a master at that! The trick is to watch it, basically. I guess you should use a meat thermometer if you don't want to risk underdoneness, which is much worse than overdoneness. But really, since we started caring about not overcooking chicken, we've enjoyed it so much more.

And that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment