Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Party Central!!!

Okay, the title is pretty funny to me right now because today is a rainy, dreary day where I don't want to go outside at all or talk to people because I have a sore throat and Joseph has a runny nose and blasted molars bothering him . . . but last week was a nonstop party!!!

It all started Monday. Not that we did anything in particular Monday, but the weather was so nice that I just wandered around with Joseph, talking to people and photosynthesizing and jumping in puddles, of which there were many. Same thing Tuesday.

Have I mentioned how much snow we have gotten this winter? This picture was taken Tuesday, after 2 days of almost 50 degree weather.

Then on Wednesday, we got a ton of snow again, so our outdoor adventures came to a temporary end . . . but the parties were just starting! First, Michelle braved the snow to come over and help decorate for the Pi Day/Ides of March/Square Root of 10 Day/St. Patrick's party we decided to put on because we needed something to look forward to. Then, the missionaries came at 5 for dinner (thank goodness for crockpots!). Soon after they left, we went to a recital for Kevin's home teachee. It was lovely.

Thursday came around, and with it came the first of the activities I was really in charge of, dubbed "Ward Testimony Night." The idea was to have anyone with a conversion story come and write it down, and anyone else was welcome to come too. Not too complicated of an idea, but it still took a little bit of planning. And, because I was busy with other stuff, I kept trying to pawn off the planning to the ward mission leader (sorry Jon), who had to remind me that this was my thing (and then helped out in the nursery so that I had no choice but to conduct). So I took charge of it, and I think it went fine.

And then . . . the party! Here is my "gloppy" invitation:




We decided to keep the party a bit smaller because of limited space, but I sort of wished everyone could have come. Then again, it was a total nerd fest, starting with the decorations. We had ribbons with digits of pi streamed across the wall, streamers with digits of sqrt(10) wrapped around the banister (okay that was probably the biggest waste of my life ever), and garlands made of shamrocks and squares with Greek letters throughout the house. Oh, and quotes from Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" on the walls, too.






And that was only the beginning of it all! People were instructed to come in togas, Irish clothes, or as a "square." Then, for dinner, we had pasta, even though I don't think ancient Romans had pasta. (It was easy.)  During dinner, we talked about things like gerunds. Yep. Talking about gerunds has never been something I planned to do at a party, but I sure enjoyed it.

After dinner, we read excerpts from Julius Caesar, which was great because people really got into character. Then we had dessert -- pie for Pi Day of course, rainbow jello for St. Patrick's Day, and brownies for square root of 10 day, which someday I will convince the general populace to celebrate with me since pi is overrated.


After most everyone had left, those of us remaining decided to play the game where you say someone's name and the person in the middle tries to hit them with a newspaper before they say someone else's game. Except, we used Greek letters instead of names. It was hard! Then everyone went home, and the party was done . . .

Except it wasn't! There was still a baby shower I was half in charge of Saturday morning! I decided to make pumpkin bars for it late that night. Right before I woke up, I dreamed that I forgot to put the baking soda in. Then I woke up and realized that was true. Oh well. People still ate them.

But yeah, the baby shower! It was actually the 3rd I've helped plan this winter. I guess when you visit teach pregnant women, that's what happens. :) It ended up being a really, really nice shower, and I can't really take credit for it other than making an Evite invitation, providing un-baking-soda-ed pumpkin bars, and hanging up a piece of yarn or two for decoration.



And then, after the lights were turned off and the doors were locked, my random party planning extravaganza was done! There were still a few social things that we went to, like a poetry slam where I scared small children (mostly my own) by reading Pop Rocks and a St. Patrick's dinner we went to, but for the most part we've just sat around the house watching Pooh and enjoying the silence and decorations we will never take down.

So, anyway, here is the moral of the story:
1. Being busy is the best. Plus if you know people are coming over you keep the house cleaner, which feels better.
2. Parties are more fun to plan with people than by yourself. I don't really feel like I did all that much work because everything was a team effort.

That said, I don't mind taking a little break from party planning for a bit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment