Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Freezing and Fasting

We have a little bit of a walk from our apartment to our car, and it can sometimes be a challenge to keep Matthew close to me. It's gotten better, but for a while he just assumed "walk" meant "walk by himself." So when I asked, "Do you want to hold my hand, or do you want me to carry you?" he would respond "walk" and then go off without me and get upset when I scooped him up and made the choice for him.

But sometimes it went better. Sometimes we could get him to start and stop like it was a game, so he'd stop before running off into the driveway.

After one of these times, we were back in the house and I heard him saying, "I'm freezing! I'm freezing!" It was a hot summer day, so I had no clue what he was talking about. Then I looked at him. Each time he said he was freezing, he would stop walking and strike a strange pose for a few seconds. Then he'd walk some more and freeze again.

So yes, he was freezing.

And then today he was hurrying back from the car and announced, "I'm fasting! I'm fasting!" He was going pretty fast, so I can understand why he was saying it.

Stop and go. Freeze and fast. Whatever keeps him safe and not dawdling, we'll take it.



No comments:

Post a Comment