Life has been busy and wonderful lately, which means it's pretty hard to stay on top of documenting it. (Although, I have been keeping a journal since Jacob was born, so at least the words are documented even if all the thousands of pictures I've taken have been lying dormant.)
So, it's time to resort to my Hemingway-esque 6 word stories. They're always longer than 6 words, but they won't be novels at least.
Here comes August!
Parents in town: They are great. Sad they left.
(We didn't do too much in New Haven itself with them, but they were kind enough to take the boys to New Jersey and leave Kevin and me staring at each other during dinner not sure what to do with only our own food on our own plates. Before and after Jacob's birth, we went to a few parks -- Josh's Jungle, Bassett Park, Edgerton Park, Joseph's elementary school, and last of all East Rock since West Rock was closed on weekdays. They also made so much food and are letting us use their minivan. It helped so much with the transition to three kids.)
![]() |
| There were some big birds flying around! New Haven is pretty from up here. |
Friends: Troll 2, Middlemarch, cookies, games, choir, playdates. (When you have so many bonds over so many things over 3 years, it is the most wonderful thing in the world to have your friends move in just a 5 minute walk away. We have loved having them as neighbors again!)
Sleeping Giant: I wanted a hike with a view. (Jacob was barely over 2 weeks but I had the urge to just climb something, so we did. Maybe someday we can do the full hike using a less steep trail.)
Postpartum: It really can be so happy.
(I had a few days at the beginning where I was so tired and emotional that I had to order myself to at least grimace so I could get the endorphins that normally come from smiling [it really helped], and then when Jacob started sleeping more I was happy. I was happy when I had Joseph, who was a medium hard newborn, and felt muted when I had Matthew, who was an easy baby, so it's magical to feel happy and have an easy baby. I need someone consistently calm around here!)
The fort: Brought to you by Amazon.
(Not too much to say . . . just wanted to show evidence of something I worked hard on during naptime. It's mostly for dumping toys in now.)
Doctor visits: Lots happen with July birthdays.
(Especially when you have a follow up for a foot that's still a little crooked. This might have been the most annoying thing in August. Luckily I was able to arrange future checkups to be the same date and time.)
![]() |
Lab party: Symbiotic relationship between kids and grad students.
(Kids want to be pushed around, grad students want to play with kids. Everyone is happy, especially parents.)
More friends: Someday we'll be on time again.
(Our good friends moved to Norwalk after an MBA and we took them up on an invitation to come over whenever. We're so glad we did!)
Carnival: Aged well in Matthew's mind.
(Kevin took the boys to a carnival in Guilford, and they loved it! Matthew loved it more once we got home, since I guess he didn't look too happy on the rides there but talked nonstop about them.)
Eclipse: Partial eclipse is still totally awesome.
(The best part might have been how neighbors came out and we got to share our glasses with them. It was really special to share that with the whole country, and I felt emotional when I watched live streams of the total eclipse.)
Kiana's wedding: Hooray for love! Boo for mastitis!
(Here's a fun fill-in-the-blanks: In August 201_ I took my newborn ____ who was less than a month old to Utah for my sister _____'s wedding shortly after she returned home from a mission. There are two correct answers for each blank.)
(It's funny . . . I have 3 personal goals when siblings get married -- be helpful, catch up with friends and family, and put in a lot of effort to look nice. Unfortunately on Friday I was so excited about being helpful that I got a clogged duct [Jacob had nursed basically every hour the day before because of traveling]) and I spent the rest of Friday trying to prevent mastitis. I spent the night absolutely freezing, and though the discomfort was mostly gone I was pretty chilled. Finally I checked my temperature and I had a fever, and this made me cry a lot up until we went to the temple. Then I got antibiotics and caught up on sleep [Jacob had two of his worst nights ever right in a row that trip]) so I didn't really help that afternoon or talk much to extended family. And I didn't feel pretty either since I felt so sick. Oh well. I got better!)
![]() |
| True love. Tacky pillow. It's tradition. |
![]() |
| Cute cousins |
![]() |
| Beautiful decorations everywhere! |
![]() |
| Kiana is so great. And she was definitely the best part of the dance party at the end of the reception. |
One month: Practically perfect in every way.
(Great sleeper, great eater, great smiler, great cooer, great snuggler, great at everything! [Especially soaking through and spitting up by the end.] What an adventurous month you had, little one, and more adventures were coming!)






















No comments:
Post a Comment