Matthew says a lot of funny things these days, and a lot of the funniness comes from how he twists ideas and concepts around from their normal meanings. For example:
Me: "Do you want some edamame?"
Him: "No! You have edamame. Daddy has edaDaddy. I don't want edaMatthew."
Him: "No! You have edamame. Daddy has edaDaddy. I don't want edaMatthew."
(I often talk to Matthew during the Sacrament to keep him from rolling around and shouting. I whisper stories of Jesus to Him. This was today's conversation.)
Me: "When people were hungry, Jesus gave them lots of bread."
Him: "No. He gave them peanut butter sandwiches."
Him: "No. He gave them peanut butter sandwiches."
(Reading a picture book about animals.)
Him: "Look! A Marshall dog!!!" (like from Paw Patrol)
Me: "Do you remember what it's called?" (I had explained the day before that it was a dalmatian.) "Dal . . ." I prompted.
He looked at me cheekily and said, "DalMarshall."
Me: "It's a dalmatian. Can you say dalmatian?'
Him: "DalChase-in!"
(Chase is not a dalmatian.)
Me: "Do you remember what it's called?" (I had explained the day before that it was a dalmatian.) "Dal . . ." I prompted.
He looked at me cheekily and said, "DalMarshall."
Me: "It's a dalmatian. Can you say dalmatian?'
Him: "DalChase-in!"
(Chase is not a dalmatian.)
Him: "I want my Superman shirt!"
Me: "It's in a box in Illinois right now!'
Him: "No! I don't want Illinois to play with it. It's mine!"
Him: "No! I don't want Illinois to play with it. It's mine!"
And during scriptures a few weeks ago, we had this exchange:
Kevin: And they gave
Matthew: And they gave
Kevin: an account of
Matthew: an account of
Kevin: one Coriantumr
Matthew: TWO Coriantumrs
Oh, and speaking of scriptures and Superman, sometimes he doesn't want to repeat what we say, so I throw in references to Superman and then he'll repeat the rest of the verse.
It's all about the wordplay.
No comments:
Post a Comment