Sunday, July 8, 2018

MVP objects

We've been in Utah now for almost two weeks, and it's been great. We've seen tons of family and friends and will probably see even more in the coming weeks.

Since the 4th was a holiday and then we had several family reunions all in a row (more on that later), our stuff hasn't arrived yet. So, all that we have is what fit into our suitcase and backpacks that we took with us on an airplane. (And all of the toys and books and furniture at my parents' house, so really we're not suffering at all.) 

While we've been living firsthand the Life-Changing Magic of Not Having Most of Your Stuff, there have been a few all-star items that we have had that I want to pay tribute to.

1. Vacuum



Okay, so we didn't pack our vacuum with us . . . but it was the very last thing that went into the moving truck. I took a picture of my mom's, but mine is the same brand. And it is glorious. If you like sweeping better than vacuuming then you have been kept from the truth because you know not where to find it. And where to find it is here. These vacuums are practically celestial. They just work so well!

Years and years ago, my family made a similar cross-country move and we lived without our stuff for two weeks before we moved. It was pretty intense -- the only furniture in the house was the toilet seat. But the vacuum stayed, and it was even packed in the minivan for the drive back. (It probably helped that Leslie and I flew so there was more room in the car.)

Anyway, it was great to have the vacuum on hand for the days in between packing and moving, and we're pretty excited to add it to the mix when we can finally unload the truck. You can never have too many Simplicity vacuums around.

2. Umbrella stroller


We first received this stroller from our friends 3 years ago when they moved from Michigan, and they first found it at the dumpster. Our low expectations for it have been exceeded a thousand times over.
Unlike many umbrella strollers which have been designed by rogue chiropractors who want to stay in business by making you hunch down while you walk, this stroller is tall enough and sturdy enough to push with ease. It has been a perfect place to put Jacob when we're out and about, even if he just sits there looking exhausted instead of sleeping. There are worse fates.

3. Red skirt

When Kevin and I were engaged, he was kind enough to go to University Mall with me to shop for clothes. I found this red skirt and instantly fell in love with it just like I had just fallen in love with Kevin.

And, after 8 and a half years, I'm still wearing it! I'm not saying I have fit in it every single day of those 8 and a half years, but it's gotten a lot of use. The fact it's lasted this long is still a miracle to me.

As an added bonus, it hides messes pretty well. Like, you wouldn't even know unless I told you that 10 minutes before going to church this morning I splashed orange juice all over it when I was taking the seal off the bottle. (This is not to be confused with the time two days ago at a family reunion when I shook a dressing bottle that actually didn't have a lid and ended up with a mouth and hair full of dressing because I'm cool like that.) I didn't have something to change into, so I kept the skirt on and it was fine. This skirt is a winner.

4. Breath mints


We haven't been a breath mint family until recently when Kevin got some to have on hand during plane rides. When I went on a trip I decided to take them too, and ever since there have been breath mints in my purse.

They've served a wide variety of purposes -- small incentives (I'm curious to see if they'll get us through potty training), entertainment (I once went to a tag sale with Jacob and he was happy to shake the container for the whole time), and keeping kids quiet while they suck on them.

During a reunion program this weekend, my kids were getting a little antsy so I gave them breath mints. Then, my niece asked for one too. Less than a minute later, a great-aunt spoke of how my great-grandma always had mints on hand for the kids. My heart was definitely turned to her in that moment!



We didn't pack quite perfectly. For example, our boys have probably been okay wearing sandals to church, but it'll be good to have their regular shoes back. But overall, it's been just fine living without most of our stuff. As long as you have a few high-quality items available, you've got what you need.

And breath mints. It helps to have breath mints.

No comments:

Post a Comment