Saturday, October 27, 2012

A few of my favorite things

I feel like making lists right now, so I decided to combine two lists into one blog post. And since I believe in ending on a happy note, I'm going to start with my current pet peeves.

A few of my not favorite things:
-Facebook statuses about snow. In October. Lots of them. Look, guys, it snows in October in Utah almost every year. Snow in September is something to announce. Snow in late October is not that interesting.
-Single-ply toilet paper. Worst thing ever.
-Postpartum hair loss. I thought I was all done with weird postpartum stuff. Nope. It's suddenly hit with a vengeance the past few weeks. It's like living with a cat . . . with 2 foot long hair. Gross.
-People telling Kevin and me we look like brother and sister. All we have in common is dark hair, dark eyes, and the same height. I'm a lot fairer than him (read: pale as death), we have different face shapes, different noses, different chins, different ears, different smiles . . . if one of us had blond hair then we would never hear this, I'm pretty sure. (And why does this bug us? Probably because we do know how we are related.)
I just don't see it.


Well, that's enough griping. Now onto happier things! Specifically, objects.

A few of my favorite things:
-This pillow. 
Front

Back
 To be honest, every time someone new comes over, I'm afraid they're thinking, "Why did Kyra make a pillow with her wedding announcement on it? How narcissistic can you get?" But that's not it at all. In fact, I didn't even make the pillow. It was a wedding present. From an 80-year-old man. Who made it himself. The pink back makes me cringe a little but it still has stolen its way into our hearts and onto our couch. So when you see it in pictures now you know where it came from.
-This couch. 


When we skyped with Kevin's family I think they were a little appalled at our choice (we reassured them it was cheap). But deep down . . . I kind of like floral prints, okay?

-This train.
IMG_2376.JPG

We don't even have it anymore, so the fact that I remember it shows how much I like it. Kevin made it for his History of Creativity class and we had it on a shelf until we moved (we couldn't justify moving a piece of junk across the country). Luckily, my dad has it stored in his office, so it still exists somewhere other than our hearts.

-This napkin holder.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, given that our first ceramic napkin holder lasted less than six months. If it survives however many kids we'll have, it'll be a miracle.

-This mug.

 If you future mothers are ever debating between giving birth in a hospital or elsewhere, pick the hospital. You'll get a mug like this. And its corresponding straw of awesomeness. I remember looking forward to having a mug like this way back when my mom was giving birth to my youngest siblings. And now here I am with one of my own. It's great.
-Our back door.



So we used to live along 700 North in Provo, which can get kind of loud. I was looking forward to moving to a more secluded spot once we got to Michigan. But as it turned out, our windows still opened to a somewhat loud road. But now that we don't have our windows open at night, I've found a great advantage to living in view of a road -- it keeps Joseph occupied. Now I can set Joseph in his swing to watch cars and pedestrians through the fence, and it keeps him happy long enough for me to, say, peel the potatoes. Hooray!


And . . . that's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree on the snow! I thought it was really funny people kept saying we had no fall, because I thought we had an nice, long, lovely fall. The fact that the snow storm caught me on my way to Morgan and I got trapped behind stupid semis that couldn't move in the canyon for three hours was more notable, and much less happy. I LOVE my mug from the hospital as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree--I HATE the postpartum hair loss. I swear, Calvin's almost 9 months old, and I still feel like I loose more than usual and am constantly covered in hair and pulling it from between my baby's fingers. Also, I LOVE those mugs from the hospital. Best part of giving birth (besides getting a baby).

    ReplyDelete