During Christmas break in 2010, my mom, then Primary chorister, enlisted my help one afternoon in putting together binders with new Primary songs for all the parents in the ward with Primary kids. Since the current Children's Songbook is older than I am, I guess they've started using lots of newer songs in Primary Programs, and she wanted parents to know them. She also decided to make a binder for me, though I was in the middle of my married student ward and could scarcely conceive of a time when I'd be back in Primary. In a letter at the beginning of the binder, she warned, "Sometime you'll be in Primary and want to know them."
Well, that day has come. I am now the Primary pianist.
So far, it's been pretty fun. I haven't yet mastered the art of biting my cheek when the kids say something funny, so I'm laughing kind of the whole time (but at least I'm hiding behind the piano, right?). The problem right now is that I laugh at things that I know I shouldn't because the kids are just looking for attention, like when a kid in Senior Primary asked, "Are we singing about Aphrodite" during Joseph Smith's First Prayer ("It says 'the God of love' in the song . . . isn't that Aphrodite?"). How does a 10-year-old even know who Aphrodite is anyway? (Also amusing is that some of the kids thought that the prophet before President Hinckley was President Bush. Ha.)
But I digress. Back to the binder. It has already saved my life a few times already. Like today when I remembered I was accompanying someone in Sacrament Meeting and didn't know til 8:20 this morning what song I was even playing. "Life is O'erflowing with Beautiful Things"? Good thing I had the binder with that song in it, otherwise I would have been totally lost. Or how they sing Scripture Power every week? Good thing I have the music for that.
So thanks again, Mom, for being awesome and organized. I'm happy to be yet another Sister Moon serving in Primary music. Even if it still feels like that name belongs to you.
You're welcome! I'm glad you are getting use out of that. Makes me happy.
ReplyDelete