Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Balved.

I am not very good at knowing the words to songs. At all. Even choruses sometimes.

Part of the problem is they just don't sing clearly enough for me. Sometimes I am able to figure it out using context clues, but other times I just think they're using a word that I don't know. So I add that made-up word to my vocabulary.

For example, I used to watch Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen mystery videos all the time. They were great. Except . . . what were they talking about with "Here we stand in our trenchcoats. Time's getting balved!" Don't believe me? Watch til 25 seconds.


As a kid, the conclusion I came to was that "balved" was just a word I didn't know. Reasonable assumption, right? There are lots of words in the English language that I still don't know.

When I got a little older, my siblings started checking the videos out again. By this point, I was pretty sure that "balved" was not a word. So what were they saying? "Time's getting bald." You know, like Father Time getting older, so he's losing his hair . . . okay,. it made sense to me. And that's the way it stuck for more than a decade.

Then Leslie told me it wasn't "time's getting bald." It's "time to get involved."

Oh.

Yeah, that makes sense too.



Do you have any experiences with realizing a song has completely different words than you thought?
(I feel like this happens to me and even to Kevin all the time now that we are exposed to kids' songs more often. Maybe as I remember them I'll keep you updated.)

7 comments:

  1. I really only learned it was "time to get involved" like one year ago. You make me sound a lot smarter than I really was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrible at figuring out what the actual song lyrics are, and I married a guy who can listen to a song twice and know every single word. It means I get mocked, a lot. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that Uncle Kracker song that has the part that goes, "Swim through your veins like a fish in the sea"? I thought for years it was , "like I piss in the sea." I thought it was really inappropriate and couldn't quite understand why someone was peeing in the sea on a frequent enough basis that it was something he could use as an example.

    I think Wes set me straight on that one...so I obviously had it wrong for years, since the song came out in like 2000 or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I'm laughing so much at the things listed above. "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson...I thought it was "This year we go" for the longest time. Kind of pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One time my family way singing "I love to see the temple". We got done and my brother Ryan asked "Why does it say that?"
    "Say what"
    "A place of love and mutiny"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think that Uncle Kracker song is inappropriate since it's a song about adultery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! I do this ALL the time, though my husband is worse at it! My most recent: Heart Attack from Demi Levato. Pretty early in the song she says: I can play 'em like a Ken doll. I thought she was saying 'Kindle' until the hubs corrected me! :)

    ReplyDelete