And when the big day came, I jumped into action. When Joseph woke up from his morning nap, I met up with Kevin at Northside Grill for my free lunch. After we left, leaving a tip and a few of Joseph's Cheerios on the table, we headed over to Kerrytown so Joseph and I could start our journey through downtown Ann Arbor while Kevin worked on a take-home final. (We were pretty jealous of him.)
First stop? Zingerman's!
In we went with me trying to maneuver a stroller one-handed while taking pictures with the other hand. "Hi!" I said, trying to remember my script. "Today is my birthday, and I heard that you have a birthday deal involving a free loaf of bread if I buy something!"
"Oh, that's at the other Zingerman's." (No, not the one next door. The one on the other side of the city.) The cashier wished me a happy birthday, and I stumbled out the door. In my master plan, I had accounted for the possibility that I wouldn't get all the free birthday stuff I wanted, so I kept my chin up and headed to the next business, enjoying the first hints of spring along the way.
Next stop? Schakolad Chocolate Factory!
"Hi! It's my birthday and I understand you give out free truffles for that," I said to the woman at the counter. "Yep, take your pick," she said, and I got to pick out a truffle about the size of a quarter. But hey, it was free. I dropped it into the tupperware I had brought along for free food collection and then stumbled out the door again (the world isn't built for moms with strollers). Clutching my printed Google Map and camera in one hand and the stroller in the other, we continued onward to our next location . . .
The Cupcake Station! The entrance wasn't particularly stroller friendly since it had a ledge we had to get up, but we made it in, and I was able to grab my mini cupcake before stumbling down the ledge again.
| Not the best picture . . . I was embarrassed about all my stroller antics and didn't take a picture til I was out of sight. |
| Red velvet! It was delicious! |
Didn't happen. After all, who could nap when there were tropical fish to watch, blocks to play with, and aisles to roam through?
After Joseph had had his fill of the library, we continued our quest, stopping next at Ben and Jerry's for a free scoop of strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Yum.
And that was that. We got on the bus (not an easy endeavor with a baby, stroller, and very heavy diaper bag, I might add) and came home. Best birthday yet!
I feel your pain! I found that a jogging stroller(bigger wheels, easier manipulation) is very handy in situations like that(we got ours for $35 off ksl, and recently just got a double jogging off ksl), as well as a diaper bag that straps across your back(like a school back pack, but mine only has one strap that goes across my body) because that leaves your hands free and it isn't constantly falling off your shoulder. Also, my old jogging stroller had a tray on top that fit my camera inside perfectly, so that made it handy. I always pull my hair back on days like that too, just one less thing to worry about! I'm trying to think of any other handy tips, but mostly it just takes time and trial and error. Sorry, I hate it when people give me unsolicited advice, but I think you are doing wonderfully in non-baby-friendly places! Looks like you had a great day!
ReplyDelete